The Fight for Freedom - Psychology, Philosophy, and Licenses

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
DotDev
Long time nixers
Summary:

in a world were privacy is on the brink of extinction, a group of Freedom Fighters band together to disband a mass conglomerate whose goal is to abolish freedom, are you ready to fight?

Characters:

Dennis Ritche
Ken Thompson
Linus Torvald
Richard Stallman
Steve Jobs
Bill Gates

Special Dedications:

Zygotb (RIP)

This thread is to combine ideas to create a game for unix enthusiast, if you have any ideas or want to contribute to this group project, please post your ideas here.

The game is going to written in C, if you have other recommendations on what it should be written in, please suggest it.

The Fight for Freedom starts now.
kirby
Long time nixers
Things to consider:

* Genre? RPG? Top-down shooter? FPS?
* Framework? My vote is SDL, though I myself am currently using C++ and SFML and really like it.
* Graphical style? Who's going to do them (I can't draw for my life)? What about other artistic areas, such as sounds and fonts?

I'll be happy to contribute (though my C is lacking and tackling a game without OOP is going to make me sad), give me a bell whenever. For learning general gamedev and SDL, then I'd recommend the Lazy Foo tutorials, though they are C++ (can't remember how much of that matters though).

Also, thanks for using my title! :P
DotDev
Long time nixers
(26-08-2014, 06:55 PM)kirby Wrote: Things to consider:

* Genre? RPG? Top-down shooter? FPS?
* Framework? My vote is SDL, though I myself am currently using C++ and SFML and really like it.
* Graphical style? Who's going to do them (I can't draw for my life)? What about other artistic areas, such as sounds and fonts?

I'll be happy to contribute (though my C is lacking and tackling a game without OOP is going to make me sad), give me a bell whenever. For learning general gamedev and SDL, then I'd recommend the Lazy Foo tutorials, though they are C++ (can't remember how much of that matters though).

Also, thanks for using my title! :P

Game Style: RPG

Graphical Style, Areas, Sounds, & Fonts, Are still undetermined but for fonts a recommend a bitmap font, areas that can be in the game a city possibly new york.

As far as the programming launguage goes, we can go with what ever is simple.

Your title was the best :>
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Using C to develop graphical applications is like choosing a chainsaw to paint a wall. You'll have fun at first, but then you'll quickly realise how hard your task will be...
venam
Administrators
I'd advise you to take a top-down approach to create the game.
Going into details at first, like the fonts and sounds, is only going to complicate the implementation. Put some straight requirements, do a draft, a simple storyline, some use cases (as in gameplay and how the player actually plays this game),some mockups of what the games will look like.
Once you have those stick to them and creating the game will only be about putting the ideas into code.
pizzaroll1
Long time nixers
Isn't this sort of like Grand Theft GNU, that game that some people on /g/ made? Also, while I do support the use of C where it makes sense (OS, performance-intensive tasks), it would save a lot of time to make this game using Lua, Python, Ruby, really anything higher level. Personally, I'd write it in Haskell and use ncurses, but somehow I don't think that'd be a popular idea.

It could be done in C, if everything is planned out, as venam says, and if we are careful with memory and portability - it's entirely possible that code that works on one OS and architecture (like the most common - GNU/Linux on amd64) could fail on another (e.g. OpenBSD on SPARC) because of some platform difference you didn't take into account (in this example, because something might have happened with big-endian vs little-endian).

Too many headaches with C, in my opinion. I'd contribute, and it'd be fun, but I'm not looking forward to the long nights hunting down null pointers in stack frames.
my website: kaashif.co.uk