An overdue introduction - Community & Forums Related Discussions

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
hades
Long time nixers
Hi!

I've been here since 2013, and it just occured to me that I don't think I ever introduced myself. On the heels of a username change, it only seems natural that I should.

I'm Haden. I'm a member of my state's Air National Guard, with the rank of SrA. I've been a full-time employee of the Guard for just about two years now, with the job title of "IT Plans and Resources". My job is mostly paperwork, emails, phone calls, and beauracracy. The most hands-on and immediately rewarding role of the job is IT Asset Management - managing the IT inventory. I jump at any chance to get out of my office and inventory or issue hardware.

Before joining the Guard, I earned my associate's degree in Information Systems Technology - a degree earned by spending far too much time in Visual Studios, Adobe Dreamweaver, and working with ASP.net - but there was a whole two semester's worth of rewarding classes with an instructor who preached linux. This instructor died my senior year, but he shaped the way I learn even now. He deserves a thread of his own, really.

Next month, I will begin on my Bachelor's Degree in Software Development. My short-term goals include finishing it and commisioning as an officer in the Air National Guard.

In my free time, I like to:

spin rifles (I was on this team in Tech School, although I can't find a video of the July 2014 competition I was in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymd8yzaOTSo)

code (About to start back on Project Euler challenges)

Play around with *nixes

Drink with friends and play card games

Drink Craft Beer

Cook
acg
Members
I've seen you around so, overdue welcome!

(09-01-2017, 02:07 PM)hades Wrote: spin rifles

For some reason when I read this it was pretty fun.
argonaut · musician · developer · writer · https://www.betoissues.com
hades
Long time nixers
(09-01-2017, 02:20 PM)albertocg Wrote: I've seen you around so, overdue welcome!

(09-01-2017, 02:07 PM)hades Wrote: spin rifles

For some reason when I read this it was pretty fun.
It's a fun hobby :) Quite a few bruises and scratches when I was first learning it. The rifles we use were never meant to be fired - no firing pin, and the barrell was filled in - but I can't say the same about all drill teams - some professional drill teams do drill with loaded rifles and sharp bayonets.
dab
Members
(09-01-2017, 02:43 PM)hades Wrote: some professional drill teams do drill with loaded rifles and sharp bayonets.
Hello there. Nice to meet you. This^^ sounds freaking fun and crazy dangerous.
venam
Administrators
(09-01-2017, 02:07 PM)hades Wrote: I've been here since 2013, and it just occured to me that I don't think I ever introduced myself. On the heels of a username change, it only seems natural that I should.
Don't worry, you already did.