[Blog post] Dropping bars for tmux - Desktop Customization & Workflow

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Phyrne
Long time nixers
I just got done writing up a new post on my blog about getting rid of status bars and using tmux in their place to display useful status info.

Here's the intro:

Quote:As I'm sure some of my readers know, I run Linux on an 11" MacBook Air as my 'daily driver' machine. I love smaller laptops, especially one as tiny as the Air. But of course, when you're using a machine with a small display, screen real estate is a primary concern for some, it's always nice to squeeze as many pixels as you can out of your desktop, y'know, use the space for useful stuff, the stuff you actually want to see!

Here's how my shell looks implementing all this:

[Image: 2012-12-06-125933_414x84_scrot.png]

Aaaand the desktop:

[Image: pastel_assassins_by_eternalkernel-d5n5ni1.png]

So, if you like the look of it, or you're just bored, please go and give my post a read! All the scripts/configs are included :)

Feedback is appreciated!
crshd
Registered
Except now you're showing the same information twice, taking up *two* lines instead of one.
I'm not quite sure how that is saving space...

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCA/IT d-(---)@ s+: a-- C+++(++++)$ UBL*+++ P+++>++++ L++ E W+++$ !N !o K !w !O M+>++ !V PS+++ PE !Y PGP+ !t-- !5 !X R@ tv- b+ DI D+ G e h r++ y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Phyrne
Long time nixers
(06-12-2012, 11:23 PM)crshd Wrote: Except now you're showing the same information twice, taking up *two* lines instead of one.
I'm not quite sure how that is saving space...

Applications that aren't in the shell... definitely saving space.

Not sure where you plucked 'two' from. The only way I can see where you're coming from with that is that there's space being taken up in each shell because of the panels, in which case, I don't see why you didn't state that, because that in itself would probably have been a better point to make if you're leaving negative feedback as it wouldn't just be limited to 'two'.

In any case, I prefer my set up this way, and it seems to have generated some interest for others who are wanting to achieve something similar, so I'm glad I made this post and shared it...
jolia
Long time nixers
Nice thread Phyrne!

I used to use tmux, I don't need it anymore, but I'll come back here when I'll use it again :D

Thanks br0.

Cheerz
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
This is nice but then you only use one window for terminal sessions which is also why tmux is for.
Phyrne
Long time nixers
Thanks guys! :D

Not sure what you mean Bestie? tmux launches on every urxvtc I launch (I've only been using tmux for a day or two, so I'm a complete n00b with it)
ajac
Members
(07-12-2012, 09:50 AM)Phyrne Wrote: Thanks guys! :D

Not sure what you mean Bestie? tmux launches on every urxvtc I launch (I've only been using tmux for a day or two, so I'm a complete n00b with it)

you can open panes within tmux, so instead of having like in your screen shot one urxvtc+tmux for your shell and another with ncmpcpp and another shell you could make a third one that combines all three :)
zygotb
Long time nixers
tmux = Terminal Multiplexer (I'm sure you know this) and is used to incorporate multiple terminal sessions within a single terminal instance, thereby preempting the need for multiple terminal windows.

That aside, I got a chuckle from your blog post where you mentioned the trauma of having to type "tmux" after opening a terminal. +3

Keep up the good work, and know that negative feedback of the sort seen here is benign in nature... It's just that we expect you to be Godlike and will accept no less from one of our own prodigal sons. :)