Favorite music for getting things done - Off topic

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
acg
Members
Hi, this is not your regular "favorite music" thread as we may have a lot to discuss, I want to keep this as a way to know each others genres for working. Concentration music, relaxing music, you name it.

Besides when I'm just listening to music I have very defined genres for working. When I'm programming, I normally listen to fast or non-common music.

This music tends to be melodic dubstep, Kashiwa Daisuke or nu metal (Issues, Crown The Empire, Limp Bizkit, etc...).

If I'm not programming and I'm just working on other stuff, I bring up my softer music.

The Police, Def Leppard, The Kooks, Queen, Pink Floyd.

So, if I'm feeling like getting stuff done, I listen to this music.

Share with us your "working music".

(This is actually an improvement to my workflow that didn't fit the Workflow & Customization forum)
argonaut · musician · developer · writer · https://www.betoissues.com
movq
Long time nixers
That really depends on what kind of work it is. :-)

At home, when I'm "working" on my private projects -- and I think this is what you mean --, it certainly is Drum and Bass in its various variations. "Reggae DnB" is my favorite, "Female Vocal DnB" is a little more relaxing. I don't know if these are actual genres, but you can find a lot of it on YouTube. The amen break burns into your soul and keeps you going. Sort of.

At work, in the office, this kind of music has way too much energy. I usually listen to loungeradio.com or dub techno streams. That, too, helps me to stay focused and to get things done, but in a very different way.

The most important thing about "working music" is that it must have a "steady flow". I don't like big changes in volume or tempo when working. It should be rather fast. It also shouldn't be "too interesting", so I don't get distracted. :-)

(I don't like the word "work" because it can have many different meanings. It's a complicated topic here in germany ...)
Adrift
Members
Yeah, I feel like most seem to have a list of non-distracting relaxing music for thinking. But I agree, the type of work denotes the genre of music I would pick.

I like post rock like 65daysofstatic, This Will Destroy You, Mogwai. Other all instrumental random collections sometimes classical(ish?) particularly with piano, cello, and/or violin. 2CELLOS, The Piano Guys, Giovanni Sollima. Perhaps folk as well like Final Fantasy, Rilo Kiley, Elliott Smith.

If I'm trying to listen to something a bit more robust to stay awake perhaps Apocalyptica, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish. If I'm working around the house or doing something active I end up with a lot of '90s rock and metal type bands. Especially if I'm working out or hardcore spring cleaning or something.
Mrat
Members
Usually I listen to complete albums, but I have some playlists. None for programming, but I even have one that I like to listen while i'm cooking.

Cooking Music:
Nujabes - Ordinary Joe (Feat. Terry Callier)
MINMI - Shiki no Uta
Nujabes - Blessing It (remix, feat. Substantial & Pase Rock from Five Deez)
Nujabes - Lady Brown (feat. Cise Starr from CYNE)
Nujabes - Feather (Feat. Cise Starr & Akin From Cyne)
Nujabes - Modal Soul (Feat. Uyama Hiroto)
Akira Kosemura - Departure
Kenmochi Hidefumi - Modal Soul (Kenmochi Hidefumi Remix)
Haruka Nakamura - Faure feat. Uyama Hiroto
Nujabes - Battlecry feat. Shing02
Fat Jon - 624 Part 1
Fat Jon - 624 Part 2
Nujabes - 1st Samurai
Alys - Ordinary Joe (Nujabes / Ordinary Joe)

There is one that I like to use while i'm programming which have two and a half hours of jazz. There is just one song that isn't completely instrumental.
Adrift
Members
Mmm, that sounds nice, I didn't even think of cooking. That's another story entirely as well, depending on what you are actively cooking, and what you're pairing with it. I'd say more upbeat rock music (but no metal, also more eras, often oldies -- though not limited to cooking either) specifically if it's many elements being cooked all at the same time.

Calmer music if it's mainly prep. I would say more instrumental -- except more so movie soundtracks, Danny Elfman of course comes to mind, but a lot more that I can't think of off the top of my head at the moment.
venam
Administrators
One answer: It depends on my mood.

Let's just focus on the time when I'm working, as you mentioned "productive songs".

Some days, I'm extremely annoyed by music, I find it repetitive and it drives me away from my imaginative mindset.
Some others, I'm thrilled by it and feel like when I type it follows the beat of the song.

I tend to go with the more artistic kind of music and not the pop/popular one.
I stay away from songs that seem like no thoughts have been put into them. I only associate myself with things reflect me and listening to those pop songs would mean that I'm one of those sheeples that listens to consumer made music that have no depth.

You only hear the music when your heart begins to break.

Yep, depends on the mood.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
I almost exclusively listens to vintage electro, especially http://radio.2f30.org:8000/live.mp3. It's a live stream with lots of energic electronic musics which I find suitable for focusing.
I tend to listen to repetitive electro musics as they don't distract you and help ignoring external sounds.
Mrat
Members
The cooking music idea came to my mind after realizing that i'm always listening to Nujabes or related artists while i'm preparing my food
josuah
Long time nixers
It may change every day, like some of you says, it changes.

For today, for me, it's Citizen Cope - Let's the drummer kick

So I'm not the only one to listen 2f30 radio sometimes :P
swathe
Members
Star Trek: TNG warp drive noise.
sulami
Members
Mostly non-distracting electronic music. Some of my favourites:

Also various OSTs, Star Wars 7 is good, Tron Legacy (although the mastering is mediocre), and Game of Thrones, to name a few.
xero
Long time nixers
(12-06-2016, 03:04 AM)venam Wrote: One answer: It depends on my mood.

^ this

but for the most part i like listening to instrumental music when trying to concentrate.
lyrics seem to distract me, i just cant help but sing along in my head when i know the words.
my music tastes range drastically, but some of my fav programming music includes:

- i speak in calculus
- metal metroid
- phlogiston
- x|k
- danimalcannon
- minibosses

so somewhere between chiptunes and metal/mathcore. lel

but right now i'm listening to algorithms
movq
Long time nixers
(12-06-2016, 10:44 AM)z3bra Wrote: vintage electro, especially http://radio.2f30.org:8000/live.mp3

Thanks for the hint. That's really nice. :)
ninjacharlie
Members
It can depend on my mood too, but normally I'll listen to whatevers in my favorites playlist.

If I find that too distracting, I'll listen to classical. Anything, pre-20th century works. I especially like Beethoven, Mozart, Handel and Vivaldi.
apk
Long time nixers
it doesnt depend on my mood

I exclusively listen to Jamiroquai and nothing but Jamiroquai

We are Travelling Without Moving, experiencing High Times in hopes to be Space Cowboys because we are all Too Young To Die. One of these days I'm gonna get Canned Heat and go into Virtual Insanity, losing my Cosmic Girl and having to love her with a Little L. After that, I'd need to go Deeper Underground to get a Lifeline and Use The Force to get away from my Manifest Dynasty. I'd only be Alright after experiencing Morning Glory and even then, my life would only be a Scam. Light Years will go by before we no longer have an Emergency On Planet Earth.
Laserswald
Members
I'm pretty much trash.

I listen to Pendulum and a bunch of dubstep. I also listen to The Glitch Mob, The Black Keys, Daft Punk, The Killers, and a tiny bit of The Naked and Famous.
xero
Long time nixers
(15-06-2016, 03:18 PM)Laserswald Wrote: I listen to...

what about http://etc.xero.nu/metroidmetal.tar.gz??? ;D
pranomostro
Long time nixers
Code:
cat /usr/bin/* | aplay

when I'm brave.
bleach
Registered
I like to listen to old school jungle music (early 1990's), drum and bass, ragga jungle or IDM. I usually find mixes on soundcloud, mixcloud or youtube. Soma FM is also great https://somafm.com/
robotchaos
Long time nixers
I tend to listen to TesseracT - Altered State when I'm building out environments. Otherwise, general computing and programming warrant epics such as audiomachine and two steps from hell.