Programming inspirations, ideas. - Programming On Unix

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
shtols
Long time nixers
(There is no general programming talk subforum so I decided to post it here, language specific.) So I'm looking forward for a little bit of holidays in the next weeks and I decided that this would be a good opportunity to give programming another shot, beneath laying in the sun and desperately trying to relax.

I don't have a shortage of books or any other material for learning a language or general programming techniques. My main problem was that I never had any idea what to actually do with the freshly aquired skillset .. writing pieces of code that add two randomly generated numbers is nothing but plain boring.

I know of Project Euler, but due to my lack of mathematical understanding I can hardly do more than the third level. I have also been told to let my imagination go wild but, to be honest, I suck at that. So if anybody of a collection of exercises, tasks or ideas for aspiring programmers, even though I have no problem with these things be a little more complicated, because challenges help you learn, they'd be greatly appreciated.
kirby
Long time nixers
Reddit has a relatively large backlog of Daily Programmer challenges stacked up, you could give them a go.
venam
Administrators
The best way to learn is to read other people's code, assuming you are already assimilated the basis of the language.
Most of the big projects are based on a library so if you want to contribute you'll need to learn how to use the library.
Android16
Members
@NeoTerra That's a good idea. When I had free time I had the same problem as shtols. I wanted to start a project but couldn't think of any ideas but these days I have a lot of fun doing my university assignments.
Android16
Members
Also check out some of MIT's open courseware. http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-en...r-science/