nixers
Which BSD do you use? - Printable Version
+- nixers (https://nixers.net)
+-- Forum: Operating Systems & Administration (https://nixers.net/Forum-Operating-Systems-Administration)
+--- Forum: BSD (https://nixers.net/Forum-BSD)
+--- Thread: Which BSD do you use? (/Thread-Which-BSD-do-you-use)
Pages: 1 2

Which BSD do you use? - October - 24-08-2015

I recently started using OpenBSD and so far everything is great. Especially the support on my laptop. I love the fact that the devs of OpenBSD care about security/privacy, which is a big plus for me and others.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - jvarg - 25-08-2015

I'm in the same boat, started using OpenBSD some weeks ago and working with it is great. I use it as my private OS and i'm very happy with it. The only thing i really miss is something like Virtualbox (with usable performance) to set up some linux dev boxes.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - bsdkeith - 25-08-2015

I'm a fairly recent convert to OpenBSD also, (systemd made me look elsewhere in case it takes over Linux).

I also use FreeBSD on machines that are not supported fully under OpenBSD, & have used GhostBSD.

What I particularly like is how small a basic installation is under OpenBSD, less than 1GB for Fluxbox with Firefox & Xmms. The same on FreeBSD comes in at around 1.8GB.

As is mentioned in another thread, OpenBSD comes with cwm & fvwm as standard, so offers a choice of wm out of the box. (I'm a long time user of Fluxbox so automatically install it.)

I must get around to trying out cwm. :)

RE: Which BSD do you use? - October - 25-08-2015

(25-08-2015, 04:03 AM)jvarg Wrote: I'm in the same boat, started using OpenBSD some weeks ago and working with it is great. I use it as my private OS and i'm very happy with it. The only thing i really miss is something like Virtualbox (with usable performance) to set up some linux dev boxes.
You take a hit on performance by using OpenBSD, not terrible though.

(25-08-2015, 06:13 AM)bsdkeith Wrote: I'm a fairly recent convert to OpenBSD also, (systemd made me look elsewhere in case it takes over Linux).

I also use FreeBSD on machines that are not supported fully under OpenBSD, & have used GhostBSD.

What I particularly like is how small a basic installation is under OpenBSD, less than 1GB for Fluxbox with Firefox & Xmms. The same on FreeBSD comes in at around 1.8GB.

As is mentioned in another thread, OpenBSD comes with cwm & fvwm as standard, so offers a choice of wm out of the box. (I'm a long time user of Fluxbox so automatically install it.)

I must get around to trying out cwm. :)
How do you like FreeBSD/GhostBSD compared to OpenBSD? Also CWM is a neat window manager.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - srp - 26-08-2015

I was using OpenBSD, then my stupid keyboard decided to not work.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - bsdkeith - 26-08-2015

(25-08-2015, 01:54 PM)October Wrote: How do you like FreeBSD/GhostBSD compared to OpenBSD? Also CWM is a neat window manager.
Prefer OpenBSD. Just spent an hour with cwm last night, creating my .cwmrc file. Might use it, but it will be hard to change from 'my' Fluxbox. :)

RE: Which BSD do you use? - z3bra - 26-08-2015

cwm is the best WM I could find. It's light, fast, got tons of cool and useful features and is extensible with wmutils.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - October - 26-08-2015

CWM is an amazing window manager. Will look into wmutils.

(26-08-2015, 06:09 AM)bsdkeith Wrote:
(25-08-2015, 01:54 PM)October Wrote: How do you like FreeBSD/GhostBSD compared to OpenBSD? Also CWM is a neat window manager.
Prefer OpenBSD. Just spent an hour with cwm last night, creating my .cwmrc file. Might use it, but it will be hard to change from 'my' Fluxbox. :)
You should definitely share that .cwmrc :D

RE: Which BSD do you use? - bsdkeith - 27-08-2015

It's just a rehash of one I found on line, very basic.
Code:
$ cat .cwmrc
# customize some bindings (C-control M-alt M1-button1)
bind M-r        exec
bind CM-r       reload
bind CM-l       label
bind CM-t       xterm -e "top -s 0.6"
bind CM-m       menusearch
mousebind M-1   window_move
mousebind CM-1  window_resize

# application menu
command xmms    xmms
command firefox firefox
command xpat2   xpat2
command xmahjongg  xmahjongg
command pysol  ./pysol
command mc    xterm -e mc
command viewnior  viewnior
command  gimp  gimp
command xcalc  xcalc
command xterm    xterm

# groups predefined, use xprop to get these from each program
#autogroup 2     Navigator,Firefox
#autogroup 3     pidgin
#autogroup 3     xchat
#autogroup 3     xterm,silc
#autogroup 4     xterm,mail

# inherit current selected group
sticky yes

Here is where I got it.
http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20090502141551

RE: Which BSD do you use? - ChefIronBelly - 28-08-2015

Currently use NetBSD/wmutils although I have used Free, Open as daily drivers and could be happy with any of them.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - z3bra - 28-08-2015

I wish all people using wmutils could give us some feedback on how they use it and what their experience is

RE: Which BSD do you use? - dkeg - 28-08-2015

Sure! New thread? Chef and I have been working together getting our wm-utils dialed in. I had thought of opening a 'My workflow' type of thread in the bbq forums.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - z3bra - 17-07-2016

Bumping this thread as I've recently discovered the joy OpenBSD is. I've been a happy linux hacker for long, but I mist say it feels great to use a "fully-complete" OS that's ready to use right after install!

The philosophies behind Linux and BSD are quite different, but both are interesting, and I'm convinced our world need both!

RE: Which BSD do you use? - josuah - 18-07-2016

(17-07-2016, 07:12 PM)z3bra Wrote: [...] our world need both!

Maybe it is a paradox, but I feel that ^^this^^ is the way to get along with standards.

That is also why I really like projects built in portable C, or ported from BSDs to Linux (with libbsd?, or in the other direction, but I am running Linux right now).

GhostBSD may be my entrance door to BSD, as Ubuntu was for Linux: I was needing to see how a system can work while fully configured before to start setting up a new one on its own. But I have seen nixers starting with slackware as a first distro!

RE: Which BSD do you use? - ChefIronBelly - 19-07-2016

sshbio Wrote:is the way to get along with standards.

That cartoon has hung in my cubicle for years :)

Currently dual booting Free and Net. My Open is installed on a live usb via Fugulta, works like a charm.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - xero - 19-07-2016

(18-07-2016, 03:43 PM)sshbio Wrote: But I have seen nixers starting with slackware as a first distro!

dont be like me. i used slack first as a kid, since that was *the linux distro* of the day. but it soured me to nix for years.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - josuah - 19-07-2016

Oh, Slackware being "the linux distro of the day"? I missed something!

RE: Which BSD do you use? - xero - 20-07-2016

(19-07-2016, 06:02 PM)sshbio Wrote: Oh, Slackware being "the linux distro of the day"? I missed something!

yea, i'm old. i installed it via a stack of floppies (seems like it was 50 of them!)

RE: Which BSD do you use? - jkl - 25-07-2016

If I ever have to choose a Linux again because someone pays me for that or something, I'll surely choose Slackware too. One of the last no-bullshit distros.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - pranomostro - 26-07-2016

Lots of people I respect really like Void Linux (chneukirchen, gottox, and some more).

Maybe it's also a non-bullshit distro.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - jkl - 26-07-2016

Void Linux, NixOS and Slackware are the three which come to my mind. Admittedly, NixOS is a different distro.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - mushmouth - 09-08-2016

OpenBSD is my most favorite one out there.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - swathe - 10-08-2016

I just started playing with OpenBSD. Enjoying it so far.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - Tmplt - 13-04-2017

I've been meaning to try BSD out. Now with me throwing a server out of spare parts into the hall at the university seems like a good starting point. I messed around with openBSD a bit, trying to get full disk encryption set up, but the disk labels eluded me. I also found out that I'm not able to run a Teamspeak server on it, so I'll try FreeBSD when I have my hands on it again. (I'd use mumble, course, but moving people is hard.)

RE: Which BSD do you use? - jkl - 13-04-2017

OpenBSD's encryption is damn easy to set up IMO. Can I help?

RE: Which BSD do you use? - Tmplt - 14-04-2017

When I get my hands on the system I'll try again. I'll be sure to ask you if I end up having problems.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - Mafia - 14-04-2017

OpenBSD. And OpenBSD.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - drkhsh - 28-04-2017

i started using openbsd on all my servers (mail, web, *dav, irc, xmpp) and i really enjoy it. in my opinion it is very well-engineered and clean. documentation is really great and helpful (you do not need google searches). additionally i like the community.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - Mrat - 07-05-2017

OpenBSD is my favourite. But in my actual laptop it doesn't support the network card.
So I used FreeBSD temporary before going back to Linux.

RE: Which BSD do you use? - xcko - 14-06-2017

openbsd right now, though I just learned there is no audio over hdmi suppport nor bluetooth. I don't use either of those, but just a heads up for anyone else considering it.