nixers
What phone are you using? - Printable Version
+- nixers (https://nixers.net)
+-- Forum: Desktop Customization, Efficiency, and Aesthetics (https://nixers.net/Forum-Desktop-Customization-Efficiency-and-Aesthetics)
+--- Forum: Hardware talk (https://nixers.net/Forum-Hardware-talk)
+--- Thread: What phone are you using? (/Thread-What-phone-are-you-using)
Pages: 1 2

What phone are you using? - 075 - 21-09-2015

Is the OS open source? Are you using open source apps only? Have you iced it? Post screenshots and general info. I am thinking on getting a Blackberry Passport. Have anyone of you used it?

RE: What phone are you using? - darthlukan - 21-09-2015

I use a Jolla Phone with Sailfish OS 2.0. It's basically a Linux distro on a barely-mid-range-specced phone. Here's an imgur album of screenshots taken a few minutes ago

RE: What phone are you using? - z3bra - 21-09-2015

Zoinks!

RE: What phone are you using? - ashen - 21-09-2015

I'd like a Jolla, but they don't sell them in the US, unfortunately.

I'm currently actually going phoneless, though. I'm thinking of picking up a Blackberry (don't know which one yet) as my first phone, though.

RE: What phone are you using? - ninjacharlie - 21-09-2015

Also interested in Jolla. Using an iPhone 4 right now. Not a huge fan of Apple's software, but boy do they know how to make hardware.

RE: What phone are you using? - ki113d - 21-09-2015

I've always been a lover pf gimmicks, and I was looking to upgrade from a Galaxy S4 to one of the Galaxy Note devices, so when I saw the Note Edge, I jumped at the chance.
It's running a stock, non-provider Lillipop rom, 'because that's good enough for me. I like the fact that I can record 4K video with it, although the videos can only be five minutes long each.

Screenshots

RE: What phone are you using? - strang3quark - 22-09-2015

I am using a old Huawei Ascend G300 with CyanogenMod 9, it simply sucks. I need to get a new phone.

RE: What phone are you using? - Turil - 23-09-2015

Zoinks! Please update the link, I'm really curious. Thanks! :)

RE: What phone are you using? - dtnt - 23-09-2015

Quote:Is the OS open source? Are you using open source apps only? Have you iced it? Post screenshots and general info. I am thinking on getting a Blackberry Passport. Have anyone of you used it?
1. No.
2. No, I don't use any applications on it. My phone doesn't even have the ability to install / use applications.
3. No.
4. I can't make screenshots with it.

Stay the hell away from 'We don't give a shit about your privacy'-Blackberry.

RE: What phone are you using? - srp - 23-09-2015

iPhone 6 here. I tend to lean towards Apple phones than I do Android.

RE: What phone are you using? - dkeg - 23-09-2015

iPhone 5s. Work phone, and using as my main phone too. I did like the flexibility of Android more, but this works for now.

RE: What phone are you using? - venam - 24-09-2015

Very cheap Android on Lenovo hardware.
I would still be using my old Nokia if it wasn't for software development.

RE: What phone are you using? - kirby - 25-09-2015

Sony Experia T. It's pretty terrible but it does the job, I've never been a good adopter of phones, I'm always lagging years behind everyone else.

RE: What phone are you using? - venam - 25-09-2015

(25-09-2015, 06:05 AM)kirby Wrote: Sony Experia T. It's pretty terrible but it does the job, I've never been a good adopter of phones, I'm always lagging years behind everyone else.
I guess it's a good thing to not be the next sheep following the new phones that get out every 5 months or so.

RE: What phone are you using? - io86 - 25-09-2015

My N900 still works just fine and suits my needs. I bought another one for 30€ last year in case I need some parts. I hope it will last until neo900 comes out. If not I'll buy a jolla, probably.

RE: What phone are you using? - skrzyp - 27-09-2015

Previously, I had Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE which I sold 2 days ago, because I'm not satisfied with Android's PIM functionality, overheatig, overall decreassed performance every update, and so on. You know, "lagdroid" name is not only the words.

Currently, Nokia 3330 - it's actually an Nokia 3310 with expanded memory (4MB ROM and 512k RAM compared to 3310's 2MB ROM and 256k RAM)) and it deserves to its own thread, stay tuned :)

But I've ordered my dream phone today - Nokia E90. And it will arrive on Monday :3

RE: What phone are you using? - strang3quark - 27-09-2015

(27-09-2015, 12:36 AM)skrzyp Wrote: Currently, Nokia 3300 - it's actually an Nokia 3310 with expanded memory (4MB ROM and 512k RAM compared to 3310's 2MB ROM and 256k RAM)) and it deserves to its own thread, stay tuned :)
I think you are talking of 3330, I had one of those. It had animated "wallpapers", more games and WAP, it was cool back then.

RE: What phone are you using? - skrzyp - 27-09-2015

(27-09-2015, 09:18 AM)strang3quark Wrote: I think you are talking of 3330, I had one of those. It had animated "wallpapers", more games and WAP, it was cool back then.

Yes, it's 3330, just mistyped.
I've tried to estabilish WAP connection with active dial-up number, but it was unsuccessfull.
When I get my FBUS/MBUS cable back, I'll post something more about using DCT3 as developer platform.

RE: What phone are you using? - hades - 06-10-2016

In the past couple of years, I've went from the iPhone 4S (which I had used for, like, 3 years) to the OnePlus One to the Nexus 6 to the Galaxy S7.

I liked the Nexus 6 the best before the screen broke. Ended up getting a S7 because I wanted to go back to my old carrier and they wouldn't work with a Nexus.

I fucking love Android, but if the Galaxy S7 had been my first experience with it, I would have traded it back in for an iPhone right away. Samsung shits up Android so bad it's unreal. Not just Bloatware, but they shit up the UI too. It took me a week to get everything how I wanted it.

RE: What phone are you using? - Tmplt - 07-10-2016

I bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 not so long ago to replace my dying HTC One m7. Got it cheap on AliExpress, but had it not been for the dumb fad of non-replaceable batteries, I'd still use the m7.

The phone has several issues, but most were fixed flashing Cyanogenmod on it (hell of a process, though...).
While I use Xprivacy, I still try to find open-source replacements on F-Droid.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to encrypt it; a bug I should probably report to Cyanogenmod.

RE: What phone are you using? - z3bra - 07-10-2016

Jolla! the terminal is pretty awesome in there, and user experience is nice too. The specs are not impressive, but it does the job and is handy enough to serve as my main phone.

RE: What phone are you using? - pieniek - 07-10-2016

I'm using my trusty Nexus 4, the support for it is great, it got fully working Android 7.0 just a week after AOSP sources got released.
Currently running Android 7.0 and Sailfish OS 2.0.2.51 with sfdroid (full Android in a native Sailfish window). I'm loving Sailfish so far, it's fast, efficent, it's Linux!

RE: What phone are you using? - stanislavjo - 07-10-2016

Galaxy S3, Android 6.0.1. The screen is shattered, but otherwise everything is smooth. Bought a bigger battery for $20 and my SOT is ~5 hours.

RE: What phone are you using? - acg - 08-10-2016

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and it's not bad, but I hate Samsung phones (: Felt way better with Huawei, I'm also into Xiaomi, HTC... Chinese phones.

(07-10-2016, 08:29 AM)z3bra Wrote: Jolla! the terminal is pretty awesome in there, and user experience is nice too. The specs are not impressive, but it does the job and is handy enough to serve as my main phone.

Just gave it a look and it's pretty impressive. Would love to try one.

RE: What phone are you using? - josuah - 10-10-2016

SailFishOS looks promising. I owns a Nexus 4, so I may try this.

I already tried it briefly, and it worked. I will still miss the dvorak layout, though...

RE: What phone are you using? - z3bra - 10-10-2016

(10-10-2016, 12:11 PM)josuah Wrote: I will still miss the dvorak layout, though...

What's the point of dvorak on a phone? AFAIK, it was created in order to optimize the use of all your fingers while typing, so the experience is totally different on a phone. Eg, most used keys should be put on the far edges of the phone instead of near the home row, etc..

RE: What phone are you using? - robotchaos - 10-10-2016

Running the original Oneplus One. I love it, but it is rather heavy. I actually had the Oneplus X for a while, until I broke it and went back to the Oneplus One. RIP X. Great phone.

RE: What phone are you using? - nxll - 11-10-2016

Oneplus One too, with CM14 Android Nougat (Still in dev) it runs perfectly for now. I recommend Termux for an away from computer terminal.

RE: What phone are you using? - robotchaos - 11-10-2016

I always start out by disabling all the Google apps: Google+, Hangouts, Keep, Photos, Magazines, Music, Chrome, etc. I even disable the stock camera on CM and use OpenCamera. I have a quirk about minimal permissions. I use K-9 for email but wish it had a better icon. FreeOTP for OTP management. Atlas for web browsing.

Anyone have any recommendations for good minimal applications?

RE: What phone are you using? - josuah - 17-10-2016

(10-10-2016, 01:26 PM)z3bra Wrote: dvorak + touchscreen ?

It is because I am used to it. It might be useful as vowels are all at the right side and consonants at the left. So what you do while typing is alternating the fingers: left, right, left, right... But this is tiny improvement, if any.

If I could get rid of google calendar, google contacts, I could even get a CyanogenMod without the google apps at all!

I also like K-9. As nxll said, termux is a good minimal application.

Close to the shebang topic: I do scripts without shebangs in termux, so that this falls back to the shell by default, or I relink /system/bin to /bin:

Code:
$ su
# mount -o remount,rw /  # required to create /bin
# ln -s /system/bin /bin

I could get most of my setup so far, even with locally built libraries. This is thanks to the flexibility and modularity of UNIX systems.