nixers
Category: other OSs - Printable Version
+- nixers (https://nixers.net)
+-- Forum: General (https://nixers.net/Forum-General)
+--- Forum: Community & Forums Related Discussions (https://nixers.net/Forum-Community-Forums-Related-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Category: other OSs (/Thread-Category-other-OSs)

Category: other OSs - pranomostro - 30-09-2015

Hey, I would like to ask if you (venam) could please add a category like 'Other Operating systems' to 'Operating Systems'.

Would be nice to have some discussion about systems like (but not limited to) plan 9 (not unix, I know), 9front, haiku (even though it is not a nix), minix and so on.

Thanks in advance!

RE: Category: other OSs - venam - 01-10-2015

The forums are called nixers.net.

RE: Category: other OSs - ashen - 01-10-2015

Just because one is a "nixer" doesn't mean they don't use other less-common Operating Systems. By merit of the forum being targeted at nixers, I would say it should include topics nixers tend to be interested in, not just *nix Operating Systems.

RE: Category: other OSs - dcat - 01-10-2015

I can't tell if venam is being trolled or not.

edit: other operating systems section

RE: Category: other OSs - pranomostro - 01-10-2015

@venam: of course you are right, but *nix is not limited to GNU/Linux, BSD and MacOSX.
There are also solaris, minix, tenex and many more. And nearly every OS has been influenced by Unix in
some way.

If you don't want to do that, it's okay and I will post in the section 'Off topic'. This
would not be exactly right, but okay.

We used to have a section about other Unix-like OSes but no one posted on it.
Here try your luck again.

We do however have some posts about plan9, Minix, and others, just use the search and you'll see for yourself.

RE: Category: other OSs - pranomostro - 01-10-2015

Thanks a lot.
Great, maybe we are more lucky this time.

You remove something nobody ever used and then somebody wants it back...

I moved some related threads into the section.
Enjoy!

RE: Category: other OSs - jkl - 13-05-2016

Sorry for the quite late reaction, but just for future reference:

(01-10-2015, 12:50 AM)venam Wrote: The forums are called nixers.net.

pranomostro said: "plan 9 (not unix, I know), 9front (...)". To be precise, Plan 9 is - more or less - the successor of Unix, evolving from the (never released in a full distribution form) V10 Unix which introduced the rc shell and many other "Plan 9 tools".

RE: Category: other OSs - pranomostro - 13-09-2016

@jkl:

Depends which definition of unix you take. Is unix your 'certified, 100% POSIX compliant system' or the 'throw all that actually un-unixy old garbage out so that we can have a new, clean system' approach? Because plan9 breaks some things like 'we actually have a file system that looks the same for every process' or 'we distinguish between local and remote files'.

RE: Category: other OSs - jkl - 13-09-2016

That's why Plan9 is not Unix but "the successor of Unix". Luckily, not actually successful.
But its file system is very "unixy" - even "unixier" than Unix's (taking the "everything is a file" approach to a whole new level).

RE: Category: other OSs - pranomostro - 14-09-2016

(13-09-2016, 04:22 PM)jkl Wrote: Luckily, not actually successful.

Be careful what you are saying, my friend :D

RE: Category: other OSs - jkl - 14-09-2016

I'm sure there are not enough Plan9 users in the world to seriously hurt me. :D

Yeah, probably. But they could send you very mean emails showing that they are much better programmers :)

RE: Category: other OSs - jkl - 14-09-2016

I doubt you can be a good programmer in that ACME thingy.

(14-09-2016, 07:27 AM)jkl Wrote: I doubt you can be a good programmer in that ACME thingy.

shots fired.