nixers
Smallest linux distro? - Printable Version
+- nixers (https://nixers.net)
+-- Forum: Operating Systems & Administration (https://nixers.net/Forum-Operating-Systems-Administration)
+--- Forum: Other *nix-like OSes & POSIX related (https://nixers.net/Forum-Other-nix-like-OSes-POSIX-related)
+--- Thread: Smallest linux distro? (/Thread-Smallest-linux-distro)

Smallest linux distro? - deadgone - 13-12-2015

What would you guys say is the *smallest* linux (libre or not) distro there is? I was looking at rlsd2 recently but I found it unsuitable. Interested in hearing all of your opinions on this subject.

RE: Smallest linux distro? - Wildefyr - 13-12-2015

TinyCoreLinux is probably the smallest.

RE: Smallest linux distro? - venam - 14-12-2015

I've used TinyCore and rlsd2, both pretty small.
However, when it comes to the usage of small distro what I want is to be able to boot from a usb and directly be able to have a running system.
Slitaz is my main small distro choice, though not the smallest.

I guess in the bsd area you find smaller installs that can be put on a diskette.

RE: Smallest linux distro? - arcetera - 26-12-2015

TinyCore, rlsd, and Damn Small Linux are probably the smallest. For most uses something like SliTaz should be small *enough*.

RE: Smallest linux distro? - ninjacharlie - 26-12-2015

Linux From Scratch (also the most hardcore distro) ;)

RE: Smallest linux distro? - strang3quark - 26-12-2015

I've used Tiny Core, I like the frugal mode. The "bad" thing about tiny core are the repos, you'll probably need to compile and make some packages.

RE: Smallest linux distro? - z3bra - 26-12-2015

(26-12-2015, 12:28 PM)ninjacharlie Wrote: Linux From Scratch (also the most hardcore distro) ;)

LFS is not *that* hardcore in fact. Its pretty much like arch actually. If you can read up a guide, copy paste some commands and avoid being stupid, you can get an LFS setup in less than a day (depending on your computer power).

Also, its rather "big" due to the fact that most tools featured are GNU softwares compiled with sane defaults. A full alpine setup would be drastically smaller I think (busybox based)

RE: Smallest linux distro? - apk - 26-12-2015

https://github.com/pikhq/bootstrap-linux

RE: Smallest linux distro? - ninjacharlie - 27-12-2015

(26-12-2015, 06:25 PM)z3bra Wrote: Also, its rather "big" due to the fact that most tools featured are GNU softwares compiled with sane defaults. A full alpine setup would be drastically smaller I think (busybox based)

When I've done it, I've never used the GNU suggestions they have for software. I've always grabbed stuff from suckless.org/suckless alternatives, and figured it out from there, so it's a bit more hardcore ;)

RE: Smallest linux distro? - XcelQ - 24-01-2016

linux from scartch.

RE: Smallest linux distro? - z3bra - 25-01-2016

(24-01-2016, 01:44 PM)XcelQ Wrote: linux from scartch.

As I said, like, 3 posts above:

(26-12-2015, 06:25 PM)z3bra Wrote: LFS is not *that* hardcore in fact. Its pretty much like arch actually. If you can read up a guide, copy paste some commands and avoid being stupid, you can get an LFS setup in less than a day (depending on your computer power).

Also, its rather "big" due to the fact that most tools featured are GNU softwares compiled with sane defaults. A full alpine setup would be drastically smaller I think (busybox based)

RE: Smallest linux distro? - XcelQ - 25-01-2016

\
(25-01-2016, 01:14 PM)z3bra Wrote:
(24-01-2016, 01:44 PM)XcelQ Wrote: linux from scartch.

As I said, like, 3 posts above:

(26-12-2015, 06:25 PM)z3bra Wrote: LFS is not *that* hardcore in fact. Its pretty much like arch actually. If you can read up a guide, copy paste some commands and avoid being stupid, you can get an LFS setup in less than a day (depending on your computer power).

I got arch in like 10 minutes. lfs probably takes longer.

RE: Smallest linux distro? - z3bra - 26-01-2016

It obviously does, but that's mostly due to the compilation time.

RE: Smallest linux distro? - arcetera - 04-03-2016

doesn't a minimal alpine docker container take ~5.5MB?

RE: Smallest linux distro? - z3bra - 04-03-2016

We're talking about docker containers, not actual distros though. so you don't have the kernel, modules and other things

RE: Smallest linux distro? - arcetera - 04-03-2016

ah; I've never used Docker so I didn't know that