nixers
What WM should I use? - Printable Version
+- nixers (https://nixers.net)
+-- Forum: Desktop Customization, Efficiency, and Aesthetics (https://nixers.net/Forum-Desktop-Customization-Efficiency-and-Aesthetics)
+--- Forum: Desktop Customization & Workflow (https://nixers.net/Forum-Desktop-Customization-Workflow)
+--- Thread: What WM should I use? (/Thread-What-WM-should-I-use)

What WM should I use? - hayden - 11-12-2016

Hey fellow Nixers! I was using i3, until I decided to switch to GNOME on my laptop. Now, I realize I really don't need a DM, and I would like a new WM to try. I don't have much programming experience. Can anyone recommend a good WM for me?

RE: What WM should I use? - rocx - 11-12-2016

cwm. It's kinda extensible, it's pretty keyboard-oriented, and it's also kind of mouse-functional if you find ourself with your hand on the ball or the squeaker. The only con I know if is if you want to have a bar showing which window groups are active, tough luck, kid.

RE: What WM should I use? - pranomostro - 12-12-2016

Were you unhappy with i3? What do you like in a WM, what do you dislike?
Should it have mouse-support? How difficult is the configuration language allowed to be?
Which platforms do you need your WM for?

RE: What WM should I use? - hayden - 12-12-2016

(12-12-2016, 10:58 AM)pranomostro Wrote: Were you unhappy with i3? What do you like in a WM, what do you dislike?

I wasn't necessarily 'unhappy' with i3, just wanted to try something new.

(12-12-2016, 10:58 AM)pranomostro Wrote: Should it have mouse-support? How difficult is the configuration language allowed to be?

Mouse support would be nice, and the configuration language shouldn't be too hard.

(12-12-2016, 10:58 AM)pranomostro Wrote: Which platform do you need you WM for?

Just Arch Linux.

RE: What WM should I use? - venam - 12-12-2016

(12-12-2016, 11:31 AM)hayden Wrote: I wasn't necessarily 'unhappy' with i3, just wanted to try something new.
You can check the extensive list found on the arch wiki ( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Window_manager ).

On a side note, it would be nice to have a questionnaire that would answer "which wm should I choose".

venam, didn't you create 2bwm?

RE: What WM should I use? - venam - 12-12-2016

(12-12-2016, 12:32 PM)hayden Wrote: venam, didn't you create 2bwm?
Everything is a remix.

RE: What WM should I use? - acg - 12-12-2016

(12-12-2016, 12:27 PM)venam Wrote: On a side note, it would be nice to have a questionnaire that would answer "which wm should I choose".

That would be kinda cool instead of just having them classified as tiling, floating, etc..,

@hayden i did install some "major" ones when i started looking for a wm. have you tried anything besides i3?

(12-12-2016, 01:49 PM)albertocg Wrote: have you tried anything besides i3?

No, I have not.

RE: What WM should I use? - jkl - 12-12-2016

I can recommend awesome wm (works nicely OOTB) or herbstluftwm (needs tweaking for optimal results). :)

RE: What WM should I use? - hades - 12-12-2016

2bwm, awesome, herbstuffedwm (I have no idea how to actually spell it), monsterwm, cwm...

My answer is to try them all in no particular order.

RE: What WM should I use? - hayden - 13-12-2016

@venam I installed 2bwm from the AUR, and I tried to launch it from GDM. It froze and I had to hard reset. Any tips?

RE: What WM should I use? - venam - 13-12-2016

(13-12-2016, 10:41 AM)hayden Wrote: @venam I installed 2bwm from the AUR, and I tried to launch it from GDM. It froze and I had to hard reset. Any tips?
No idea about the AUR version, I would install from source.
No idea either about how you start it via GDM.

RE: What WM should I use? - jkl - 14-12-2016

(12-12-2016, 08:30 PM)dbcooper Wrote: 2bwm, awesome, herbstuffedwm (I have no idea how to actually spell it), monsterwm, cwm...

"Herbstluft" is German and means "Autumn air", the typical feeling of the nature outside in a wood or something. :-)

I didn't know monsterwm, bookmarked.