nixers
The skin is fucked up [In Progress] - Printable Version
+- nixers (https://nixers.net)
+-- Forum: General (https://nixers.net/Forum-General)
+--- Forum: Community & Forums Related Discussions (https://nixers.net/Forum-Community-Forums-Related-Discussions)
+--- Thread: The skin is fucked up [In Progress] (/Thread-The-skin-is-fucked-up-In-Progress)

The skin is fucked up [In Progress] - jkl - 09-03-2017

Desperately trying to find a nixers.net skin that does not insult my eyes, I thought I was fine with the UnixHub one. However, the UCP shows missing graphics:

[Image: 8Ml8Ohb.png]

Even worse, the top menu bar is actually broken:

[Image: 9u3nLPq.png]
  • Forums, Search, Members and Statistics:
    No complaints here.
  • Shell accounts:
    "The specified thread does not exist."
  • Gaming:
    Leads me to the index page.
  • Pastebin:
    Leads me to the index page.
  • IRC:
    "The specified thread does not exist."
  • Mail:
    "Invalid forum"
  • Donate:
    A blank page, containing this "HTML" code:

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html><!-- start: donation_page -->

<!-- end: donation_page -->

Well... "fixing the forums", aren't we?

RE: The UnixHub skin is fucked up - venam - 09-03-2017

(09-03-2017, 08:25 AM)jkl Wrote: Even worse, the top menu bar is actually broken
Sorry, those are all remnants and are not valid anymore.
We should have erased those a long time ago.

I installed a new themes, "TheGray".

Feel free to propose other ones too.

I'll try to edit the current default light and dark theme to create a more contrasted one. It's on the todo list.

RE: The UnixHub skin is fucked up - jkl - 09-03-2017

Well, something like "UnixHub" would have been reasonable: High contrast, large enough font even on a smartphone. (I'm not a fan of "mobile-only" themes, they usually lack continuity.)

Thank you, the "TheGray" theme is quite pleasant. :) (Minus the logo, but I know that this might not have the highest priority right now.)
If you have some time, you could add more darkness to the default font though.

RE: The UnixHub skin is fucked up - venam - 09-03-2017

(09-03-2017, 09:09 AM)jkl Wrote: Well, something like "UnixHub" would have been reasonable: High contrast, large enough font even on a smartphone. (I'm not a fan of "mobile-only" themes, they usually lack continuity.)
If you have some time, you could add more darkness to the default font though.
Having a theme that is responsive is also on the list.
Yep, you aren't the first one asking for a more contrasted theme.

(09-03-2017, 09:09 AM)jkl Wrote: Thank you, the "TheGray" theme is quite pleasant. :) (Minus the logo, but I know that this might not have the highest priority right now.)
It's the default, I haven't modified it yet.
Let it act as a temporary theme for now.

RE: The UnixHub skin is fucked up - venam - 17-03-2017

I've been working on a new theme called "Blank".
If you are interested in giving it a try and reporting what you like and dislike that would help.

RE: The UnixHub skin is fucked up - jkl - 17-03-2017

Sure. :)

RE: The UnixHub skin is fucked up - z3bra - 17-03-2017

A few feedbacks from using it (and seeing it evolve) for the past few days (everything is 200% subjective, as one might expect with a theme):
  • The "[*\]" aside the word "nixers" is not well scaled and looks bad
  • Too much whitespace between sections/links in
  • Font for titles/links to threads are too big and eat up space
  • Love the colors! They're refreshing and light for they eyes
  • Minimalistic at will, all important links are present
  • While viewing the thread, it looks really nice (you forgot to change the color of the nickname, and perhaps add a left-padding to them)
  • Mobile version is much much much much better than it ever was!
  • Mobile version shouldn't include the section description though (it eats up space)

So overall, you did a fairly good job! Great work, really.
To sum up my though, the only thing bothering me is that many things eat up space on the page, which can be annoying. Not everyone runs a browser fullscreened on a >2000px screen, and thus I can barely see all the links or the first section in the main page.
I'd rather have a bit less white spaces, and smaller fonts for sections titles so that I could see more of them on the page, which would prevent having to use the mouse and scroll all the way down. The same goes for mobile, except for the font. The font size is perfect on mobile view, but the white spaces become annoying (eg, the space between the title and the section name. Another line could fit in there). As there is not "box drawing" to separate the threads, my brain mentally uses whitespace blocks as a separator, and it seems like there are separators everywhere.

So yeah, the only things that really bother me are the whitespaces that are too big, and numerous. Other than that, it's my favorite theme, out of all the existings themes we got! Thanks venam!

RE: The UnixHub skin is fucked up - jkl - 17-03-2017

Edit: Wait, is the mobile version a different skin? In this case, please ignore my previous posting. That was not too obvious.

RE: The skin is fucked up [In Progress] - z3bra - 17-03-2017

(17-03-2017, 10:15 AM)jkl Wrote: Edit: Wait, is the mobile version a different skin? In this case, please ignore my previous posting. That was not too obvious.

the "blank" skin has a mobile version

RE: The skin is fucked up [In Progress] - Adrift - 17-03-2017

For me, new dark plays best with my global css styling, though most work well. I would be interested in using a separate theme for mobile. But I'm not sure if that's possible? EDIT: Just to be clear, I would like to know if it can become possible?

I tried Blank briefly on phone, and it does seem the font is a little large, and the spacing is a little off. On my phone I feel like (page 1, 2, 3) ends up aligned oddly on the titles. But, that theme is nicer to use on mobile.

RE: The skin is fucked up [In Progress] - jkl - 17-03-2017

Ah, now on blank.

Still broken thread icons in the UCP and the [*] looks quite out of place. Other than that, quite an improvement.
What does its substyle do?

RE: The skin is fucked up [In Progress] - venam - 19-03-2017

(17-03-2017, 09:45 AM)z3bra Wrote: [*]The "[*\]" aside the word "nixers" is not well scaled and looks bad
[*]Too much whitespace between sections/links in
[*]Font for titles/links to threads are too big and eat up space
[*]Love the colors! They're refreshing and light for they eyes
[*]Minimalistic at will, all important links are present
[*]While viewing the thread, it looks really nice (you forgot to change the color of the nickname, and perhaps add a left-padding to them)
[*]Mobile version is much much much much better than it ever was!
[*]Mobile version shouldn't include the section description though (it eats up space)
(17-03-2017, 08:48 PM)jkl Wrote: the [*] looks quite out of place. Other than that, quite an improvement.
I've taken those into consideration.

(17-03-2017, 08:48 PM)jkl Wrote: Still broken thread icons in the UCP
Can you share a screenshot as there are no icons in the UCP for this theme.
(17-03-2017, 08:48 PM)jkl Wrote: What does its substyle do?
Which substyle, currently mrtn is working on a darker version of the "Blank" theme but he's not keeping up with the changes so it might not work properly.

Thanks for the feedbacks

RE: The skin is fucked up [In Progress] - jkl - 19-03-2017

Yes, there are no icons indeed...
http://i.imgur.com/63TYTZ6.png

Only happens on Android + Chrome for me.

RE: The skin is fucked up [In Progress] - mrtn - 19-03-2017

(19-03-2017, 09:49 AM)venam Wrote: currently mrtn is working on a darker version of the "Blank" theme but he's not keeping up with the changes so it might not work properly.

Yeah, I'll look into it next week, had no time this weekend :s

edit: If you have suggestions, feel free to msg me on irc.
http://imgur.com/a/AFPCw

RE: The skin is fucked up [In Progress] - z3bra - 20-03-2017

The latest version looks pretty damn good on desktop and mobile to me! Good job venam!

I noticed two more things:

* On the main page, the member list is still listed in pale green
* Images in thread are not scaled down to the size of the screen

RE: The skin is fucked up [In Progress] - venam - 20-03-2017

(20-03-2017, 11:10 AM)z3bra Wrote: * On the main page, the member list is still listed in pale green
Fixed.

(20-03-2017, 11:10 AM)z3bra Wrote: * Images in thread are not scaled down to the size of the screen
Can you please specify on which browser, as the images scale well on Firefox.

Also, I'll give it a week or two so that we debug the current themes, create new ones, criticize, brainstorm, etc..
And then we'll vote again if we want to change the default forums theme.

RE: The skin is fucked up [In Progress] - z3bra - 20-03-2017

On the sailfish browser (using Qt5 I think):
[Image: n05.png]

EDIT: Link to the repo: https://github.com/sailfishos/sailfish-browser

RE: The skin is fucked up [In Progress] - venam - 22-03-2017

(20-03-2017, 01:57 PM)z3bra Wrote: On the sailfish browser (using Qt5 I think):
Fixed, now it should work fine on mobile.
Thanks for your help.

RE: The skin is fucked up [In Progress] - z3bra - 22-03-2017

Works.perfectly indeed! Thanks for the quick fix