nixers
Hallo - Printable Version
+- nixers (https://nixers.net)
+-- Forum: General (https://nixers.net/Forum-General)
+--- Forum: Community & Forums Related Discussions (https://nixers.net/Forum-Community-Forums-Related-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Hallo (/Thread-Hallo)

Hallo - hristiyan - 25-05-2018

{{ threadSubject }}, my name is Hristijan. I am 19-year-old student from Europe currently in my first year of studies towards a degree in CSE. But I still have doubts if it would've be better for me to pursue a degree in history or philosophy. Probably not.

I am interested in computers and the Internet. History, privacy and astronomy on the other side. And StarCraft II (although I am not really good at it, but it keeps me entertained). I also like to build stuff using computer programming languages.

From music genres, I like shoegazing, new wave and punk-rock. But I have no problem listening to other genres as well. Depends on my mood really.

I like rainy days and staying up late night since no one is bothering or expects something from me. Not sure if I am an introvert or an extrovert. I think I am both. I don't like social media and smartphones. I'm using a dumbphone so I can communicate with people through a mobile network.

I found nixers.net from someone's blog. Can't remember which one. Main reason why I joined is because I would like to communicate with people that I share common interests with.

I started with Elementary OS around five or six years ago. I liked how it looked. Curiosity made me distro hop for a while until I came around a Linux distro who's name I wont say because nowadays it's the same thing as saying that you are a vegan (no offense, vegans). Alongside a window manager. But I'm thinking of switching to OpenBSD.

(If you bother replying to my thread, I would highly appreciate if you provide a link of your own introduction so I can meet you better).

* (Fun drinking game; tequila shot every time you find "i" in the beginning of a sentence in my thread)

That'd be it. I think. :)

All the best,
Hristiyan

RE: Hallo - venam - 25-05-2018

(25-05-2018, 01:38 PM)hristiyan Wrote: I don't like social media
(25-05-2018, 01:38 PM)hristiyan Wrote: I would like to communicate with people that I share common interests with.

Welcome to the nixers forums, which is also a social media website.
It has become too common to use social media as a synonym for the big ones, forums are social media aka a place to socialize and "communicate with people that I share common interests with".

(25-05-2018, 01:38 PM)hristiyan Wrote: (If you bother replying to my thread, I would highly appreciate if you provide a link of your own introduction so I can meet you better).

Here's my intro thread from 2012, a lot changed since then so maybe it's good to mention it:
I finished my studies, started working 3 years ago.
No more classmates, but great coworkers I admire.
I code/program in many more languages but I don't think it's this much relevant to mention them.
I still like freedom but I've learned there are many kinds of freedoms.
I don't read much mangas anymore, didn't read any since I finished university.
Programming is entertainment only to a certain degree and for the persons engaging in that activity.
Some people have "good sides" but it might be relative to how they view that side.
I still live in that *shitty* country, though nowadays I would nag less. The environment is there to be used, make what you want of it.
Spanish faded even more.
Haven't heard of Raptor in a while, must have gone instinct by now.
About the social network thing, same reply as I just mentioned above.
Donnie Darko is an amazing movie but I'm not sure I would still qualify it as my favorite, there are so many.
I haven't watched television since that intro, though I do watch a lot of online videos.
Still vegetarian.
I've widen my music genres, These days I like to fire up soundcloud or bandcamp or whatever and try new sounds.
I'm still retro gaming, had stop for a while, but I recently started again. I'm playing Legend of Zelda for snes and Secret of Mana (multiplayer with my SO).

All and all, welcome!

RE: Hallo - jkl - 25-05-2018

So you use Arch? ^^

Welcome to nixers!

RE: Hallo - hristiyan - 26-05-2018

(25-05-2018, 02:15 PM)venam Wrote: Welcome to the nixers forums, which is also a social media website.
It has become too common to use social media as a synonym for the big ones, forums are social media aka a place to socialize and "communicate with people that I share common interests with".

Well, when you think about it, it is. But a normal and useful one. :)

(25-05-2018, 02:15 PM)venam Wrote: I finished my studies, started working 3 years ago.

What did you study? What do you work? How did you handle motivation to finish your studies? :)

(25-05-2018, 08:30 PM)jkl Wrote: So you use Arch? ^^

Welcome to nixers!

Arch indeed. Thank you! I don't see your introduction link tho. Who are you? :)

RE: Hallo - jkl - 26-05-2018

I have no introduction link. I am the resident wise guy. :)

RE: Hallo - venam - 26-05-2018

(26-05-2018, 08:04 AM)hristiyan Wrote: What did you study? What do you work? How did you handle motivation to finish your studies? :)
I studied computer science. As far as motivations goes where I live you can't get a job without having a degree, that's one side, the other side is that the studies were kind of fun.
I work as a software engineer in a company that deals with value added services for mobile operators. In more details these last few months have been about implementing a brand new standard in the mobile industry, which mean dealing with new kind of encryptions, using hardware security modules, implementing our own PKI, specific encoding, etc.. It's very interesting.

RE: Hallo - pkal - 01-06-2018

Hi, welcome! Nice to seem someone my age around here, and not only that but someone who shares an afinity for CS, History and philosophy. This was my introduction from a few months ago.