nixers
Software recommendation - Printable Version
+- nixers (https://nixers.net)
+-- Forum: Desktop Customization, Efficiency, and Aesthetics (https://nixers.net/Forum-Desktop-Customization-Efficiency-and-Aesthetics)
+--- Forum: Desktop Customization & Workflow (https://nixers.net/Forum-Desktop-Customization-Workflow)
+--- Thread: Software recommendation (/Thread-Software-recommendation)

Software recommendation - pranomostro - 07-11-2018

I half expect to do another search directly after posting this thread and finding an equivalent, but so far there has been nothing, so I'll just jump into the cold water and create this software recommendation thread.

It's simple – either you are so stoked about something you have been using lately that you can't stop yourself from writing a reply here, or you are desperately searching for a utility and want some community input.

I'll start with such a request: does anybody know a good, small command line flashcard utility? I know about anki and mnemosyne, but they are huge and not modular enough.

RE: Software recommendation - venam - 07-11-2018

I've been using and finding useful clipboard managers these days.
Parcellite and Clipit are both great solutions to this and have approximately the same keybind ctrl-alt-h.

It's my recommendation lately as I've been working in an IDE that doesn't provide an internal clipboard such as with vim.

At the moment I'm looking for a lightweight and complete markdown editor with an export to PDF feature. So far I'm using two things, one of them is an alias on the command line:
Code:
markdown () {
    markdown_py $1 | lynx -stdin
}
However markdown_py doesn't support all markdown, especially tables. And on the other side I've been trying a browser addon for firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/markdown-editor-premium/?src=search

RE: Software recommendation - jkl - 07-11-2018

(07-11-2018, 06:28 AM)venam Wrote: At the moment I'm looking for a lightweight and complete markdown editor with an export to PDF feature.

GNU Emacs with pandoc-mode should be sufficient (assuming that you already have an Emacs on your machine, else "lightweight" would be a retarded word for it).

RE: Software recommendation - z3bra - 08-11-2018

pandoc itself could be an alternative otherwise :)

RE: Software recommendation - seninha - 05-05-2020

I am looking for a window manager that can make dockable windows.
For example, I want to create a "bar" with a clock docklet, but I do not want a dock program, I want a window manager that can "dock" xclock(1) in the corner of the window and make windows do not maximize over it.
Something like fvwm can do, but fvwm is too big for my needs.

RE: Software recommendation - neeasade - 05-05-2020

perhaps not quite the same, but bspwm has the concept of "layers", and the ability to set borders per window -- so all you would have to do is move xclock window to an above layer, remove the borders, and use something like xdotool to place it in a dock-looking location.

To elaborate on layers -- there are 3, below, above, and normal. Each layer has a notion of tiled, floating, fullscreen windows. Windows on the above layer always show above windows on the normal layer, regardless of state.

RE: Software recommendation - Wildefyr - 07-05-2020

Trying to think of a way to do this with wmutils but coming up blank for a simple method, even if you set a window to the top of the window stack, and ignore it, X11 will still interpret stacking order requests and include your 'docked' window in the stack, meaning that future above_stack calls will place windows over your docked window. hmm

RE: Software recommendation - z3bra - 07-05-2020

(05-05-2020, 06:54 PM)phillbush Wrote: I want a window manager that can "dock" xclock(1) in the corner of the window and make windows do not maximize over it.
I think he's not talking about stacking order, but rather limit the virtual workspace size from top-left to the corner of "docked" windows.

You can do this with wmutils (of course!).

Code:
# dock.sh
# toggle "window docked mode".
# Their geometry and position will change how "maximize.sh" behave, by never overlapping a docked window.
# Behavior is unexpected with a docked window positioned in top-left corner
#
# usage: dock.sh [window ID]

[ -z "$1" ] && exit 1
if -n "$(atomx DOCKED $1)"; then
    atomx -d DOCKED $1
else
    atomx DOCKED=yes $1
fi

Code:
# maximize.sh
# resize a window to fill the whole area between top left corner, and the closest "docked" window from top and left corner
#
# usage: maximize.sh [window ID]

# set your monitor size here
maxh=1080
maxw=1920

for wid in $(lsw); do
    # ignore position of non-docked windows
    test -z "$(atomx DOCKED $wid)" && continue
    x=$(wattr x $wid)
    y=$(wattr y $wid)

# reduce width/height of the area according to docked windows
    [ $x -lt $maxw ] && maxw=$x
    [ $y -lt $maxh ] && maxh=$y
done

# teleport window to the calculated area
wtp 0 0 $maxw $maxh $1

note: this is obviously untested, and extremely subject to bugs. Enjoy !

RE: Software recommendation - twee - 07-05-2020

I'm pretty sure cwm can do that too, if I understand correctly (I might not, in which case apologies).

in the cwm configuration file:

Code:
gap 7 28 7 7
ignore xclock

and then in the x resources:

Code:
XClock*padding     : 0
XClock*geometry    : -7-7
XClock*height      : 14
XClock*borderWidth : 0

or something?

RE: Software recommendation - z3bra - 07-05-2020

This would work indeed, but you shouldn't move the xclock window so it remains within the gap area. Perhaps that's what he is after ?

RE: Software recommendation - seninha - 08-05-2020

(07-05-2020, 09:07 AM)twee Wrote: I'm pretty sure cwm can do that too, if I understand correctly (I might not, in which case apologies).
That is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

(07-05-2020, 08:36 AM)z3bra Wrote: You can do this with wmutils (of course!).
wmutils(1) looks amazing! Can I use it to change focus to the window on the left/right/up/down of the currently focused window? Focusing by direction is what I use to change focus rather than cycling through Alt+Tab.

RE: Software recommendation - z3bra - 08-05-2020

Of course you can ! Check this out: https://github.com/wmutils/contrib/blob/master/closest.sh

RE: Software recommendation - seninha - 08-05-2020

Thanks, I will check it.

EDIT:
Strange... lsw(1) does not exists in OpenBSD's port of wmutils.
There is a lswin(1), but I have to use the flag -a to get the list of all windows.
And also there isn't a wtf(1), but a wintf(1)...

RE: Software recommendation - z3bra - 09-05-2020

It probably conflicts with other utils on OpenBSD. lsw shouldn't need the -a flag though, as it is meant to list hidden and ignored windows, which is not what you need really.

RE: Software recommendation - seninha - 10-05-2020

(09-05-2020, 05:32 AM)z3bra Wrote: It probably conflicts with other utils on OpenBSD. lsw shouldn't need the -a flag though, as it is meant to list hidden and ignored windows, which is not what you need really.

Here is the util it conflicts with: suckless' lsw.