nixers
Unix screen-shots thread! - Printable Version
+- nixers (https://nixers.net)
+-- Forum: Desktop Customization, Efficiency, and Aesthetics (https://nixers.net/Forum-Desktop-Customization-Efficiency-and-Aesthetics)
+--- Forum: Desktop Customization & Workflow (https://nixers.net/Forum-Desktop-Customization-Workflow)
+--- Thread: Unix screen-shots thread! (/Thread-Unix-screen-shots-thread)

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - ols - 17-11-2020

[Image: 2020-11-16-3.smol.png]

See more at https://ols.wtf/scrots

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - mcol - 19-11-2020

Damn, nice colours ols

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - pfr - 20-11-2020

Ain't much changed. It's Friday, I'm going to drink some stout.

[Image: stout.png]

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - s0kx - 20-11-2020

Oh cool, do you have an account on tilde.pink?

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - jolia - 20-11-2020

and what's that anonradio?

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - pfr - 20-11-2020

(20-11-2020, 06:49 AM)s0kx Wrote: Oh cool, do you have an account on tilde.pink?

Not yet, just came across it. I'll probably join though.

(20-11-2020, 07:49 AM)jolia Wrote: and what's that anonradio?

http://anonradio.net
All DJs on aNONradio.net are members of the SDF Public Access UNIX System Community.

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - jolia - 20-11-2020

(20-11-2020, 07:49 AM)jolia Wrote: and what's that anonradio?

http://anonradio.net
All DJs on aNONradio.net are members of the SDF Public Access UNIX System Community.[/quote]

thanks for that man!

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - s0kx - 20-11-2020

I guess it's time for a new screenshot from me as well. Please enjoy:

[Image: 01.png]

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - pkal - 20-11-2020

(20-11-2020, 10:33 AM)s0kx Wrote: I guess it's time for a new screenshot from me as well. Please enjoy:

[Image: 01.png]

What's that link?

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - s0kx - 21-11-2020

(20-11-2020, 06:06 PM)zge Wrote: What's that link?
It's the world's smallest web app for drawing, see:
https://github.com/zserge/awfice

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - jkl - 21-11-2020

The runtime (web browser) alone is larger than some drawing applications though.

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - s0kx - 21-11-2020

(21-11-2020, 08:24 AM)jkl Wrote: The runtime (web browser) alone is larger than some drawing applications though.
Yeah I know, hence the phrase "smallest web app.." and not "smallest office suite" like the author puts it.

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - ols - 24-11-2020

[Image: 2020-11-24-1.png]

Back on i3

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - pyratebeard - 25-11-2020

I tweaked my cursed theme to look less like gruvbox.

[Image: zombie-01.png]

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - opfez - 25-11-2020

Looks sick!
Can you actually program anything with that font? It's tiny!

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - pyratebeard - 25-11-2020

Cheers

(25-11-2020, 12:42 PM)opFez Wrote: Can you actually program anything with that font? It's tiny!

It's not the size that matters... or something. The font isn't that small, I sometimes go a size up if I'm feeling tired but most of the time it is fine.

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - pfr - 26-11-2020

(25-11-2020, 08:26 AM)pyratebeard Wrote: I tweaked my cursed theme to look less like gruvbox.

Awesome, as always!
You an Irish bloke are ya Pyrate?

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - Dworin - 26-11-2020

I'm experimenting with having my terminal not full-size, though the rest of my system is still tiling. Made a dwm rule (isfloatsingle) to identify progs that should float if they're alone on the tag. Opening another window will push st back into tiling mode, because then its width isn't much of a problem anymore.
[Image: iRx0.png]

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - pfr - 26-11-2020

(26-11-2020, 02:09 AM)Dworin Wrote: I'm experimenting with having my terminal not full-size, though the rest of my system is still tiling. Made a dwm rule (isfloatsingle) to identify progs that should float if they're alone on the tag. Opening another window will push st back into tiling mode, because then its width isn't much of a problem anymore.
[Image: iRx0.png]

Thats a cool idea. I would use this. Sometimes when you just need one terminal for a single task (or with multiplexer for multiple tasks) having a single full screen term isn't always necessary.

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - pyratebeard - 30-11-2020

(26-11-2020, 01:46 AM)Ramiferous Wrote: You an Irish bloke are ya Pyrate?

Not Irish but currently a resident of Dublin.

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - seninha - 11-02-2021

Not a screenshot, but a workflow video.
I moved from a desktop with bars and docked apps to a blank, barless desktop.
This is how my desktop looks like now:

https://i.imgur.com/NzOqL9A.mp4

First, in the video, I use πmenu to change the song. A xnotify notification pops up showing the current song.

Then, I open some terminal windows with a script of mine called drawterm, you can find here. I resize one of the windows using a yet non published script (but its a simple one, just uses slop(1) to select the rectangle and wmctrl(1) to do the resizing).

Then I open four vim terminal windows, each one in its proper place, placed by the shod window manager.

The icon theme is ubo, but I already have to select the icons for πmenu (as you can see, some of the icons are from the haiku icon theme, the theme I used before ubo).

The cursor theme is Retrosmart X11, a well designed cursor theme with a large range of cursors.

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - mcol - 11-02-2021

(11-02-2021, 09:44 AM)phillbush Wrote: This is how my desktop looks like now:

https://i.imgur.com/NzOqL9A.mp4

Looks awesome, I just posted on pmenu's repo about Wayland support which I'd love to see.

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - opfez - 11-02-2021

Your workflow is looking more and more like Plan9's, phillbush ;)

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - pfr - 11-02-2021

(11-02-2021, 09:44 AM)phillbush Wrote: I open some terminal windows with a script of mine called drawterm,
Love it! I can't wait to set up a SBC desktop so I can use a mouse! will be trying this out for sure.

My current setup keeps getting simpler... also recently started using sdorfehs and I'm really enjoying it. I don't think itll replace FrankenWM but for now I'm having fun.

[Image: root-19-02-2021-11-58.png]

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - seninha - 11-02-2021

I created a dotfiles repository.
Currently it has only some scripts and documentation, and a README.md full of gifs. I will populate it with actual dotfiles soon, after I remove all the junk I have accumulated in my dotfiles through the years.

(11-02-2021, 09:11 PM)Ramiferous Wrote: My current setup keeps getting simpler...
Mine too, I eliminated my bars, titlebars and dockapps for a simpler desktop.

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - pfr - 15-02-2021

(11-02-2021, 09:41 PM)phillbush Wrote: I eliminated my bars, titlebars and dockapps for a simpler desktop.

I'll use bars that are built in to a WM such as the bar in sdorfehs. But I wont run a bar as a separate process.
I agree that a desktop looks cleaner without a bar, but I find it handy to have the time & date and battery level right there so I don't have to type any commands to get that info. I also like having the number of pkgs installed and the current weather in the bar as I'm constantly adding and removing packages and the weather here in Melbourne can change multiple times in a day. For everything else there is the *fetch. The sdorfehs bar also incorporates the active window title on the left hand side by default.

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - seninha - 18-02-2021

Shod is now kinda stable and ready for others to experiment!
I recorded a short video describing shod's main features:
  • Desktops are created on demand, just like in GNOME. You begin with a blank desktop. Then, when you open a window, a new blank desktop appears. So you can have any number of desktops you want, but only one of them is empty. To create a new desktop, just move to the empty desktop and open a new window.
  • Windows are distributed on the screen. When you open a window, shod looks for the best place to map it so that the windows are evenly distributed.
  • Tiling works like in acme or wmii. The screen is divided into columns, and windows are rows in the column. You can manipulate the columns and the rows in it by changing their size. That's the only tiling layout possible. If you uses acme(1) or used ye old wmii(1) you understand what I'm talking about.
My CPU temperature goes over 60°C in the video, so I get an annoying notification. I'll probably change it to notify me when the temp is higher, or remove the notification completely.

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - jkl - 19-02-2021

Finally, a sane sense of window tiling. Even although I stopped using that on a desktop, I have to thank you for your work. :)

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - seninha - 11-03-2021

I added some features to shod, like 3D borders (which I blatantly stole from katriawm and fvwm).
[Image: -ZAR.png]
The theme is read at runtime from a .xpm file.

I posted here another showcase of shod and the other set of X11 utilities that I use on my desktop.

RE: Unix screen-shots thread! - movq - 11-03-2021

(11-03-2021, 10:01 AM)phillbush Wrote: which I blatantly stole from katriawm

How dare you! ;)

I obviously like this screenshot. :>