Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
dzen2 was all the rage before lemonbar came in. Lemonbar is really line focused though, while dzen2 is multiline, so it is multi-purpose (status bar, popups, drop-down menus, …). You can also load images in the .xbm format.
The input syntax is a bit more cumbersome to me, and it feels more "hacky" than lemonbar. This is totally subjective though, and I used dzen2 for quite some time happily. I mostly switched to lemonbar back then because it was what the cool kids did.
Wildefyr
Long time nixers
(05-05-2020, 08:50 PM)neeasade Wrote: > What can I do with dzen2 that I cannot do with lemonbar

dropdowns/the notion of a 'heading' on dropdowns.

To be fair lemonbar can do this easily with clickable areas + dmenu with patches. More config but doable.
neeasade
Grey Hair Nixers
@Wildefyr Agreed, just what I had in mind were "vanilla"/upstream versions of dzen2/lemonbar when responding with that (and in isolation/solely dzen2/lemonbar) -- the cool part about many of these tools is how patchable/approachable the source is!
sth
Long time nixers
does anyone know if it's possible to use fontawesome icons with bemenu-run? i'd like to use an icon for my bemenu prompt but haven't figured out how to do it (if that's even possible).
yakumo.izuru
Members
I use a fork of lemonbar[1] on hikari, and while it looks messy it does the job I think.

How it looks
[Image: KHvZJ.jpeg]

How it works (somehow)
Code:
conky.config = {
    out_to_console = true,
    update_interval = 1,
    short_units = true,
};

conky.text = [[
%{c}\
CPU 0: ${cpu cpu0}% \
CPU 1: ${cpu cpu1}% | \
RAM: ${mem} | \
IP: ${addr wlan0} | \
UP: ${uptime_short} | \
BAT: ${battery} ${battery_time} | \
VOL: ${mixer} | \
${time %A %Y-%m-%d} ${time %H:%M:%S}
]];
Code:
#!/bin/sh
conky | lemonbar-xft \
        -g x30 \
        -n hikari \
        -f "M PLUS Code" \
        -d

[1]: https://gitlab.com/protesilaos/lemonbar

I anyways might consider using dzen2 instead, as it most likely works without so many workarounds lol