Workflow Compilation [finished] - Desktop Customization & Workflow

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Dear nixers,

This is gonna be the official thread for the "Workflow Compilation".

What is it ?
This is a video compiling a bunch of screencast from the nixers members, all performing the same task, but using their personnal setup.
this would result in a compilation showing the personnal workflow of each participant, and setting a comparison point between them.

Can I participate ?
Sure ! The more videos we get, the better. Just post your submission and we'll add it !

What are the rules ?
1. Nixers will have to perform the tasks in the exact order they are listed (see below).
2. Nixers must use a single monitor for the screencast
3. Nixers' screen resolution should be above 1280x720
4. Nixers submissions should be in webm format
5. Nixers should submit their compilation before 2015-02-14 at midnight (UTC).

How can I record the video ?
The command to use is the following (adjust the resolution to fit your actual setup):

Code:
RESOLUTION=1440x900
ffmpeg -f x11grab -s $RESOLUTION -an -r 16 -loglevel quiet -i :0.0 -b:v 5M -y workflow-compil-${USER}.webm

For those running OSX:

Code:
RESOLUTION=1440x900
ffmpeg -f avfoundation -s $RESOLUTION -an -r 16 -loglevel quiet -i 0:none -b:v 5M -y workflow-compil-${USER}.webm

To end the video, press `q`.

What is the task list ?
  • Put on some music
  • Write some random text to a file in /tmp
  • Install "toilet" or "figlet", and try it in a funny way !
  • Send an email (bitchplease@null.net if you have no idea)
  • Browse the forum (post something on this thread)
  • Connect to #nixers at irc.nixers.net to say "Hi !"
  • Arrange windows to take a pretty screenshot (show off)
  • Close all the windows and end the video.

Happy hacking !

Submissions:

FINAL CUT!! (z3bra.org)
For future references, the scripts used to create the compilation:
Resize all videos to the same size
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# resvid - 2015 (c) wtfpl
# resize a bunch of videos to the same size

# fuck you, ffmpeg banner
exec 2>/dev/null

# where to put the resulting videos
OUTDIR=$PWD/resized

# size of the final videos
SIZE=1440:900

# create the directory for edited videos
test ! -d $OUTDIR && mkdir -p $OUTDIR

for IN in $@; do
    printf "%s ... " "$(getname $IN)"
    ffmpeg -i $IN -vf "scale=$SIZE" -b:v 5M -y $OUTDIR/$IN
    printf "OK\n"
done

Add fading effects and text to the videos
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# fadevid - 2015 (c) wtfpl
# add fading effect, and an overlay text to each video given as parameter

exec 2>/dev/null

# where to put the resulting videos
OUTDIR=$PWD/faded

# Number of frames to use for fading effect
FADELEN=30

# the font to use to draw text
FONTPARAM="font=BitMicro01:shadowx=4:shadowy=4:fontcolor=white:fontsize=28:x=w-tw-28:y=h-th-28"

# output the name of the vid, without extension (and all lowercase)
getname() {
    echo $1 | sed 's/\(.*\)\.[^.]*/\L\1/'
}

# get the number of frames of the video (used for fade out effect)
getframes() {
    ffprobe -count_frames -show_entries stream=nb_read_frames $IN|cut -sd= -f2
}

# create the directory for edited videos
test ! -d $OUTDIR && mkdir -p $OUTDIR

# add fading effect + hover text to all videos, and put them in a subdir
for IN in $@; do
    printf "%s ... " "$(getname $IN)"
    NBFRAME=$(getframes)
    VFILTER="fade=in:0:$FADELEN"
    VFILTER="$VFILTER,fade=out:$((NBFRAME - FADELEN)):$FADELEN"
    VFILTER="$VFILTER,drawtext=$FONTPARAM:text=$(getname $IN)"
    # 5Mib bitrate looks like a sane default
    ffmpeg -i $IN -vf "$VFILTER" -b:v 5M -y $OUTDIR/$IN
    printf "OK\n"
done

Concatenate the video
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# usage: concatvid *.webm > final.webm
cat $@

Damn... I wish... Real script below
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# catvid - 2015 (c) wtfpl
# concatenate videos in an arbitrary order
# run the script in a directory containing all the videos

INTRO=${INTRO:-intro.webm}

test -z "$1" && echo "I can't do that." >&2 && exit 1

exec 2>/dev/null

# create a list compatible with the "concat" demuxer of ffmpeg
# don't forget to put the intro at the top
ls -1 | grep -v $INTRO > list.txt
sed -i "s/^.*$/file '&'/" list.txt
sed -i "0 ifile '$INTRO'" list.txt

# concatenate to $1
ffmpeg -f concat -i list.txt $1
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER
dcat
Members
xero
Long time nixers
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
LIESard
Members
Here's mine: https://u.teknik.io/HUGaHw.webm
I'm actually quite proud of this
srp
Long time nixers
~Seraphim R.P.
the artistnixer formerly known as vypr formerly known as sticky
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
vypr, after watching your cast again, I realise that you neither install toilet, nor send any email. Also, you barely browser the forum, so it doesn't show much about how you handle these tasks. I would also be nice to fire up an editor to actually WRITE some text to a file, instead of just using `dd`. Could you please record the video again ?
srp
Long time nixers
(05-02-2015, 04:46 AM)z3bra Wrote: vypr, after watching your cast again, I realise that you neither install toilet, nor send any email. Also, you barely browser the forum, so it doesn't show much about how you handle these tasks. I would also be nice to fire up an editor to actually WRITE some text to a file, instead of just using `dd`. Could you please record the video again ?

ur a meanie

http://vps.iotek.org/~vypr/workflow-redo.webm
~Seraphim R.P.
the artistnixer formerly known as vypr formerly known as sticky
eye
Members
venam
Administrators
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Come on people !!! We need more screencasts !
thang
Registered
http://webmup.com/QMWlk/

Finally got mine in. Probably missed a few things. I couldn't send an email because it had too many personal things all over it.
mort
Members
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(06-02-2015, 10:05 AM)thang Wrote: http://webmup.com/QMWlk/

Finally got mine in. Probably missed a few things. I couldn't send an email because it had too many personal things all over it.

Thanks a lot for your submission thang ! Sadly, I will not add it to the final compilation, because your resolution does not meet the minimum requirement of 1280x720. The problem with the resolution is that to merge all the video together, I'll have to scale down all videos to the smallest resolution, making the highest ones harder to read (because fonts will look really smaller). Another reason would be that when people will watch this in fullscreen, They will have a hard time watching these on high resolutions. so I decided to settle at 1280x720 for the minimum resolution.

I'm sorry that you don't fit those requirements. I'll definitely add your name to the contributors though, because you did it anyway and I'm thankful for that.

I hope you won't get upset.

EDIT: please use another host next time, or link to the video directly.. (http://webmup.com/QMWlk/vid.webm). I tried viewing your submission at work :/
vompatti
Long time nixers
(08-02-2015, 10:00 AM)z3bra Wrote: ...because your resolution does not meet the minimum requirement of 1280x720. The problem with the resolution is that to merge all the video together, I'll have to scale down all videos to the smallest resolution, making the highest ones harder to read...

You could make the 1920x1080 reso video, and with smaller resos just but black borders around it so you can avoid the whole scaling process.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
I could. But wouldn't that look ugly ? Looking at a video constantly changing its size ?
xero
Long time nixers
(04-02-2015, 05:05 PM)xero Wrote: http://lab.xero.nu/workflow-xero.webm

here's the todo script i made for the video
thang
Registered
(08-02-2015, 10:00 AM)z3bra Wrote: Thanks a lot for your submission thang ! Sadly, I will not add it to the final compilation, because your resolution does not meet the minimum requirement of 1280x720. The problem with the resolution is that to merge all the video together, I'll have to scale down all videos to the smallest resolution, making the highest ones harder to read (because fonts will look really smaller). Another reason would be that when people will watch this in fullscreen, They will have a hard time watching these on high resolutions. so I decided to settle at 1280x720 for the minimum resolution.

I'm not mad at all. I thought that I had mine set to scale at 1280x720...

Also, I had no idea where to submit it because I couldn't find anywhere to upload the webm except there. I don't have an iotek or any account like that and pomf.se is blocked on my University's servers. My monitor's default resolution is 1280x800 so there's no way to make it 1280x720 without black borders somewhere... I could do another video and upload it at 1280x800 but it'd be up to you if you actually wanted it.
boris
Members
here is my submission; http://a.pomf.se/ptajrw.webm

*z3bra, it's the 36fps vers incase you wondered
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(08-02-2015, 10:16 PM)thang Wrote: Also, I had no idea where to submit it because I couldn't find anywhere to upload the webm except there. I don't have an iotek or any account like that and pomf.se is blocked on my University's servers. My monitor's default resolution is 1280x800 so there's no way to make it 1280x720 without black borders somewhere... I could do another video and upload it at 1280x800 but it'd be up to you if you actually wanted it.

Yeah, the host is not "bad" on its own. It's just the ads around it :P By looking at the HTML source, I found that you can just append "/vid.webm" at the end of the URL so that it links directly to the video, and not to the page showing the video + ads. So it's fine for me. Please try to use this trick next time ;)

For the resolution, 1280x800 would be fine. The ratio doesn't really matter in the end I guess (I'll see when doing the final cut anyway). So do as you please.
boris
Members
@z3bra, could you confirm that the speed in my submission is ok? Thanks :)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
I already told you it was :)
Dr Chroot
Members
Ah ha! I only screwed up mostly half of it in the first try, so I think that I might have set a record for attempts at recording my desktop :D http://a.pomf.se/indjiw.webm
The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it is still on my list.
neeasade
Grey Hair Nixers
My background does not show with the ffmpeg command you listed to make the webm :/ and all the terminals are black if I have compton turned on.

This is weird. Looking into it, then will post.
exp0sure
Long time nixers
what WM and OS is that?
b4dtR1p
Members
Hi nixers, here is mine osx and archlinux machines...sorry for horrible resolution in arch video!

happy hacking mate!

http://vps.iotek.org/~b4dtr1p/workflow-c...dtR1p.webm -- OSX(Yosemite)

http://vps.iotek.org/~b4dtr1p/out.webm -- archlinux
░ ░░▒░ ░ ░ ░ ▒ ░ ░▒ ▒░

░ ░ ░ ░ ░
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Thanks for your submission. Sadly, I won't use any of this videos in the final compilation. I don't think I need to explain why I wont use your Arch video (did you really use my command?!). For the OSX video, The quality is nice, but You didn't follow the required step in the order they are listed. As the purpose of the vid is to have an overview of different people all doing the same things, you need to perform the tasks in the order they are listed. If you could make your videos again, respecting the rules, I'd be glad to add them to the final cut.

Also, try to use my command (there is an OSX one). If it doesn't work, come on IRC so we can try to find a solution. Thanks b4dtR1p !
b4dtR1p
Members
Serious, I'm using your ffmpeg command and on arch and on osx too.

But if my vid isn't valid, np, but at the moment I don't have time to re-rec my workflow
░ ░░▒░ ░ ░ ░ ▒ ░ ░▒ ▒░

░ ░ ░ ░ ░
boris
Members
http://a.pomf.se/lecyyz.webm

There is my new submission, could you replace my old one with this please?

Thanks!
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
done 5char