Macs without OS X - Off topic

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Phyrne
Long time nixers
Any of you guys out there running a different *nix OS on Apple Mac hardware?
Let's see what you got! May aswell include what kinda setup you've got going on too. Should make for an interesting thread me thinks :)

I'll start: MacBook Air mid 2011 (4,1) 11" model - Arch Linux | CK kernel patchset | awesome WM
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
I used to run FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD, Linux and Solaris on my Macbooks but now it wont work anymore :s
Phyrne
Long time nixers
(30-08-2012, 01:05 PM)Beastie Wrote: I used to run FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD, Linux and Solaris on my Macbooks but now it wont work anymore :s

D: Really? How so?
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
I really don't know. I tried many things but it still doesn't work :'(
Phyrne
Long time nixers
(30-08-2012, 01:30 PM)Beastie Wrote: I really don't know. I tried many things but it still doesn't work :'(

Well that sucks! The recent work Intel have been doing with their drivers for *nix, you'd think that most stuff would run smoothly :/
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Well the macbooks are 2,2 and 5,2
Saos
Long time nixers
(30-08-2012, 01:47 PM)Phyrne Wrote:
(30-08-2012, 01:30 PM)Beastie Wrote: I really don't know. I tried many things but it still doesn't work :'(

Well that sucks! The recent work Intel have been doing with their drivers for *nix, you'd think that most stuff would run smoothly :/

HA. Tell that to my Intel HD 3000. 800x600 on vesa FTW because there's no KMS support for Intel GPUs. -_-
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
@Saos, it's coming.

I just fixed my problem. I'll make a thread ;)
Phyrne
Long time nixers
Well, perhaps I should have said "IThe recent work Intel have been doing with their drivers for Linux" :P KMS worked 'out of the box' on Arch for me... before I'd even installed their driver!

I'm going to be taking my first steps into the BSD world next week, going to install FreeBSD on my desktop. I'm quite excited! :D
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
I needed to burn a refit cd to update refit after I installed FreeBSD or it wouldn't boot anything.
Phyrne
Long time nixers
(31-08-2012, 06:30 AM)Beastie Wrote: I needed to burn a refit cd to update refit after I installed FreeBSD or it wouldn't boot anything.

My desktop is one I built, and has a BIOS, so no need to be messing around with EFI stuff :D
Thanks for the tip though Beastie!