Do you use a startpage? - Desktop Customization & Workflow

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Houseoftea
Long time nixers
Exactly what the subject says, Do you use a startpage? and if you do what is it and why?

I have been playing around with a few myself and it has become quite fun.
bsdkeith
Long time nixers
I don't, just a blank page, go from there.
venam
Administrators
I also don't use a startpage.
I just leave the tabs that were opened in the last session.
It's usually ton of tabs that I don't close set inside Firefox group-tabs.
strang3quark
Members
I had one in the past but I never really needed one, now I just have the firefox default.
Webtm
Members
I have one for no reason really. I rarely ever even use the links that I have on it, but it is just something that has been there for a long time so it doesn't have a reason to go.
jvarg
Members
+1 for not using a startpage. I never found it really useful since i use bookmarks. Also i prever blank tabs
dkeg
Members
no startpage. I'm not that complicated
work hard, complain less
movq
Long time nixers
I do. It's my bookmarks.xhtml (stored locally).

I simply don't use any browser's bookmarks feature. Instead, all bookmarks are in that file. Result: No matter which browser is started (firefox, lariza, lynx, ...), my bookmarks are always there.

Plus, having to edit an HTML file to add a new bookmark makes you think twice if you *really* need to bookmark that web site. ;-)
Houseoftea
Long time nixers
I like that rationale! Mind posting a screenshot?

I used to use bookmarks too with the Firefox bookmarks bar. Turns out that books really ugly when you don't use gtk.
I suppose having to open a tab and click on a link is a little more work than opening a bookmark, but it looks pretty and its too small of a difference for me to care much
bsdkeith
Long time nixers
I used to do that, vain, when I was on dial-up, but since getting broadband, I have too many bookmarked places that I visit regularly, it would be too messy the old way. :)
movq
Long time nixers
(15-07-2015, 12:37 PM)Houseoftea Wrote: I like that rationale! Mind posting a screenshot?

There's a lot of them, e.g.:
venam
Administrators
(15-07-2015, 02:29 PM)vain Wrote:
(15-07-2015, 12:37 PM)Houseoftea Wrote: I like that rationale! Mind posting a screenshot?

There's a lot of them, e.g.:
Damn, those scrots are epic even though I don't like the startpages in them.
Wildefyr
Long time nixers
I have one but I probably don't use it that much surprising, I host it on my http server so I can access it from anywhere: http://wildefyr.net/start/. I use lemon as my browser font so it looks pretty nice when I'm on my machines.
Houseoftea
Long time nixers
That looks epic!