Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
cfoobaz
Members
I discovered this forum a few months ago and was really impressed. I've been lurking off and on since then, to see if I wanted to become a part of the community.

I noticed that lots of you have use distros like Arch, Gentoo, Slackware, and Crux with very minimal software. I've used Arch before, but simply use Ubuntu (moderately modified to suit my preferences and needs). From my experience, communities full of "advanced" users tend to be rather hateful toward people who use easy software, so I've been wary of posting here. You might think that people who like easy to use software don't belong here since they don't really want to learn about *nix. Personally, I feel that I am greatly interested in Unix systems, even though I can't bring myself to use an "advanced" or "minimal" setup for long without compromising my productivity. I may use Ubuntu, but I still like clever hacks, the command line, shell scripts, Vim and Emacs, and such things.

Despite some misgivings, I decided that you all seem nice enough. So I'm taking the plunge, and hope to become more than just a lurker. Nice to meet you all!
venam
Administrators
Everyone is welcome here, from beginner to advanced users.

We tend to use minimal softwares because we've learned, over a period of time, that in most cases it's more efficient both in execution speed and workflow.

Feel free to ask and contribute to any discussion.
Houseoftea
Long time nixers
Exactly what venam said in regards to the tolerance of skill level. Being fairly new to *nix, im probably one of the least advanced people on this fourm. They have been nothing but nice/helpful to me.

(Even when I accidentally broke the rules that one time)

It really is a niche of goodness on the internet that is hard to find.

I have learned so much from the great posts about workflow and neat scripts to reading the blogs that a lot of members on here write.

The environment here is great for discussion and the amount you learn by osmosis is truly amazing.
When I first joined here some basic c, setting up my window manager and basic shell commands were my limit. Now well, I know a little more ;)

It's a pleasure to meet you and I hope to see you around posting!
bsdkeith
Long time nixers
We all had to start knowing very little, then we tended to install everything but the kitchen sink, then we found what works for us, we are all individuals with a common interest. :)
thetornainbow
Members
Hey welcome to the forums! Don't worry, soon you'll give up productivity and you'll wonder if you could start down the long rabbit hole that always approaches the nixiest setup of all.

Anyway good to have you :)
srp
Long time nixers
Welcome to nixers.
~Seraphim R.P.
the artistnixer formerly known as vypr formerly known as sticky
xero
Long time nixers
welcome to nixers!
cjm
Long time nixers
Welcome to a group of highly intellegent, kind and most importantly tolerantly awesome people on the internet. Everyone is welcome here! Enjoy your stay and the nixing!