Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
ShedYourSoul
Members
Hi everyone, I am ShedYourSoul.

I have been using linux consistently for about 2 years, and on and off for a little more than that. My current distro is Arch, but I also used Ubuntu, Crunchbang, and Elementary.

I am a 4th year Computer Science major with a Math minor at a University in Texas. The main language that I like to use is Java (especially Java 8), but I am trying to use forums like this to force myself to use languages like c more often. I have used C++ although I have not used it in a while, and I have used C# as well, but it has also been a while since I have used it. I have tinkered with python, and I can understand python source code for the most part, I just have not taken the time to sit down and finish a tutorial. I have also messed around with Haskell, but I have yet to finish a tutorial for it either. I am interested in Functional Programming (which is why I like Java 8). I am trying to use the Agile programming methodology, and use things such as TDD/TFD and pair programming. I am currently going through a tutorial on Git as I have never actually used it very much. I think that pretty much does it for programming stuff, except that right now I am trying to read The Art of Unix Programming, and it has been a very interesting read so far.

Some of my hobbies include watching/playing sports (American Football, Basketball, Baseball, Soccer, Volleyball, Golf, Tennis). I also greatly enjoy all kinds of music, but I tend to focus on certain genres based on my mood (as I write this I am listening to hip-hop) and I sing in a choir and used to play trumpet (and do occasionaly play it still) and french horn. I also enjoy camping (in a camper, not a tent its too hot in Texas), and hiking. I like reading, either general fiction, science fiction, or non fiction. I don't watch very much tv or go to the movies, except for Netflix, but my favorite tv show in recent years has been Bob's Burgers.

My politics are a combination of liberal and conservative, but I will not ever bring it up unless someone asks me specifically and even then only if the person is being civil about it (I hate the incivility of American Politics as of late). I am religious, but I have no issues with other beliefs or non-beliefs as long as they respect my right to believe what I do, and I will not try to convert anyone unless they are interested.

Some nix specific things: I use vim, but I have never used emacs so I don't have a set opinion of either one. I was using BSPWM, but after reading some of z3bras blog posts, I decided to try cwm, and I like it so far. I have thought of using a BSD before, but I have not taken the plunge just yet.

Oh and I used to use Reddit, but found myself spending too much time on it, and I also found the comments to be very toxic at times so I stopped using it about 6 months ago probably.

I think that is about it, thanks for reading through my post and hopefully I will see more of all of you in the days to come!
ChefIronBelly
Members
Welcome ShedYourSoul

Enjoy
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." - Andrew S. Tanenbaum
Houseoftea
Long time nixers
Hey hey there!

Its nice to meet you and thanks for the help in the math thread

I look forward to hear more from you
dkeg
Members
welcome sir.
work hard, complain less
venam
Administrators
Did you just paste your CV?

Welcome to nixers.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
I guess he's hired then. Thanks for the nice description, and welcome onboard!
pranomostro
Long time nixers
Hey ShedYourSoul.
It's good that this is not a political discussion forum, otherwise I would attack you instantly.

Welcome!
srp
Long time nixers
Welcome to Nixers.
~Seraphim R.P.
the artistnixer formerly known as vypr formerly known as sticky
jvarg
Members
Welcome
strang3quark
Members
welcome to nixers