Am I the Only One? - Desktop Customization & Workflow

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
venam
Administrators
Hello fellow *nixers,
This thread is about softwares written by someone else but that you think you are the only one using.

You've been surfing for hours, from page to page, and found this piece that does exactly what you've been looking for.

It's not in (most) package managers repositories but you use it frequently.

I'm sure you have a great list of those exotic findings.

Who uses hnb?
I thought for a long time that I was the only one, even though it's in some official repos (such as Debian's). I use it daily for note taking.
ninjacharlie
Members
Hrm... never heard of that before. I tend to use Vim with a notes plugin to simplify internal note navigation (https://github.com/xolox/vim-notes), which isn't quite as full fledged, but pretty much does what I need.
apk
Long time nixers
AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT USES ACME ON A SEMI-REGULAR BASIS
Houseoftea
Long time nixers
Adam have you seen the suckless/ cat -v folks?
Lots of acme over there

As for me, I like wordgrinder but no one else uses it
Also frankenwm is pretty rare
Oh yea and emacs, no one else uses that right
apk
Long time nixers
(11-11-2015, 08:46 PM)Houseoftea Wrote: Adam have you seen the suckless/ cat -v folks?
Lots of acme over there

Kinda. They do use werc though. I like werc. I had that on xw22 before I shut it down due to me being a, uh, broke ass college student. wmii's interface was inspired by acme and uses an exported filesystem to expose it's resources. Just like a plan 9 program :)
venam
Administrators
(11-11-2015, 08:46 PM)Houseoftea Wrote: As for me, I like wordgrinder but no one else uses it.
I don't even understand what it's suppose to do.
Quote:WordGrinder is a Unicode-aware character cell word processor that runs in a terminal (or a Windows console). It is designed to get the hell out of your way and let you get some work done.
WordGrinder is a word processor for processing words. It is not WYSIWYG. It is not point and click. It is not a desktop publisher. It is not a text editor. It does not do fonts and it barely does styles. What it does do is words. It's designed for writing text. It gets out of your way and lets you type.
Houseoftea
Long time nixers
It's like a cli word processor that can export to different formats like rtf and PDF or LaTeX.
The person who made it used it to write their book.
It's pretty wonky sometimes
arcetera
Members
am I the only soul that uses luakit?

it's a really good browser, surprised it gets overlooked so often
pranomostro
Long time nixers
I feel like the only person who still uses sam (except Ken Thompson, of course).
Everybody else has moved to acme (hey, @dsplayer14!) :(

Then, there is miranda, a very small and tight functional language.
It is designed pretty well, but was dicontinued and segfaults way too often.
Sad.
xikuuky
Members
I like FrankenWM.I've also used Luakit.
Houseoftea
Long time nixers
(24-12-2015, 02:20 PM)xikuuky Wrote: I like FrankenWM.

We are going to be good friends
sulami
Members
(24-12-2015, 02:20 PM)xikuuky Wrote: I like FrankenWM.I've also used Luakit.

Great to hear!