From OS X to ? - GNU/Linux

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
atbd
Members
Hi everybody,

I have finally decided to switch from OS X to another unix. I already know arch and play with it since a long time on my 'test computer' ; I love this distribution but it is a little bit unstable for everyday-use I think.

So I look for others unixes and some itch my interest:
- Slackware seem to be awesome but packages management is pretty old
- Frugalware is slack with pacman as I saw?
- Crux, the inspiration of arch and source-based distro. More stable?
- Free/OpenBSD, I never tested those out of a VM but my "new" computer is fully compatible (thinkpad X220). The only missing thing is Skype... These OSes are well known for their stability and intrigue me since a long time (and ZFS is a bonus, at least on FBSD (: ).

Have a nice day
xero
Long time nixers
based on your own comments i'd say go crux if you want linux and openbsd if you want bsd.
Wildefyr
Long time nixers
Crux is as stable as you want to make it. I run nearly all my own packages outside of what's included in opt and core repos.
atbd
Members
Thanks for your replies. I think I will try OpenBSD, i'm curious. Why prefer OpenBSD to FreeBSD ?
If I want to go back to linux I will go crux.

Happy new year to all nixers (a little early ^^)
arcetera
Members
here's a rundown of openbsd vs freebsd:

openbsd: security-centered, uses stable packages, and has contributed to every operating system. literally every one.

freebsd: decently secure, but that is not the focus. has more drivers and hardware support than openbsd. uses zfs.

both: have an easy menu-driven installer, use a bsd userland, have both ports and binary packages
atbd
Members
Thank you for these precisions
xero
Long time nixers
(31-12-2015, 11:02 AM)arcetera Wrote: openbsd: security-centered, uses stable packages, and has contributed to every operating system. literally every one.

nice summation arc
atbd
Members
I installed OpenBSD on my laptop and i'm discovering it thanks to the handbook & Absolute OpenBSD book.
Everything seems to run well except one thing: I haven't UTF-8 support in zsh and it is specific to this shell. All others have it.

If somebody has an explanation, i'll take it
Wildefyr
Long time nixers
What's the output of:
Code:
locale
and
Code:
locale -a
xero
Long time nixers
open zsh and type
Code:
LANG=
and press tab to suggest completion options for you.

when you find what you want (e.g en_US:UTF-8) add it to your .zshrc
Code:
echo "export LANG=en_US.UTF-8" >> ~/.zshrc
apk
Long time nixers
also idk what the stance is on $LC_ALL but
Code:
echo "export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8" >> ~/.profile
has made things prettier in some cases
atbd
Members
I have already test this solution with LANG and LC_CTYPE both set to "fr_FR.UTF-8".
But my terminal (urxvt) is still unable to handle utf-8 char :(
xero
Long time nixers
atbd
Members
Seemed promising but it didn't work, OpenBSD's login.conf do not support 'charset' and 'lang' entries.

I finally succeed.
We had the right response but not in the right place, we have to put it in ~/.xsession (if xdm else ~/.xinitrc).

Thanks for your help !