Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
kefan
Members
Hello everybody!

I started playing around with GNU/Linux around 2008 using a distro called Caldera. I hae also played with at least a couple dozen distros since then, eventually ending up an Arch Liunx from 2009 to present. I tried FreeBSD, but left it quickly because it didn't support my wireless card (pretty trivial reason, I know!)
I love the freedoms of *nix software and the capabilities that they unlock on our computers. My passion has driven me to pursuing a computer science degree.
I am very comfortable in the command line environment, but there are still plenty of areas to improve (especially with tools like sed and awk).
I am a huge fan of tiling WMs, and currently use BSPWM, leaving DWM sometime last year and i3 sometime before that.
I recently began using qutebrowser to do my web surfing, which is the last piece of software I use daily that required (until now) a mouse.
I am glad to have found a place where I feel comfortable geeking out over *nix stuff!
rocx
Members
(12-02-2016, 12:50 AM)kefan Wrote: I am very comfortable in the command line environment, but there are still plenty of areas to improve (especially with tools like sed and awk).

Perl and Python were made as alternatives to AWK. You might want to give Perl6 and Python3 a look.
venam
Administrators
Glad you like it. Welcome!
kefan
Members
(12-02-2016, 01:03 AM)rocx Wrote: Perl and Python were made as alternatives to AWK. You might want to give Perl6 and Python3 a look.

I've played a little with Python, and I like it quite a bit. I haven't tried perl, but I'm super interested in giving it a try!

(12-02-2016, 01:29 AM)venam Wrote: Glad you like it. Welcome!

Thank you so much!! :D
I have lurked for a while and intended to join some time ago. I just never seemed to get around to it.
apk
Long time nixers
glad to hear you made an acct, welcome to the cool crew
Wildefyr
Long time nixers
Welcome o' buddy old pal!
pranomostro
Long time nixers
>perl and python
>alternatives to awk
Not really quite:
awk is much smaller, 'neater' than perl or python (9base awk is ~5000 lines of C, while
perl and python go into the ten-thousands).
They are quite different-you would not write a very long and complex program
with awk, but lots of people do that with perl/python.
Also, awk was/is a single purpose language, for processing data streams.
That's what it's good at.
>python 3 and perl 6
I don't know python 3, but perl 6 looks really cool (although it is way too huge for
my taste).

also, hello!
srp
Long time nixers
Welcome to Nixers.

Bonvenon al Nixers.
~Seraphim R.P.
the artistnixer formerly known as vypr formerly known as sticky
kefan
Members
Thanks everyone, for the wonderful words of welcome!

On the topics of programming languages, I am currently learning both Java and C at school this semester. Of the two, I definitely prefer C.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
C is definitely much simpler to use than java. The environment is extremely simple to setup also (as opposed to java usong packages and such).

But java has some advantages too making it a viable alternative SOMETIMES. It's a good idea to learn both regardless. Welcome to the team!
pranomostro
Long time nixers
I didn't really hate Java, I just realised that
I hate huge libraries.
While using Java.
xero
Long time nixers
welcome to nixers!

feel free to join our irc chats at irc.unix.chat #nixers
arcetera
Members
welcome to the forums