Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
evbo
Members
Hey there nixers,

I'm a long-time Linux user, started with Debian Woody back in high school and I've hopped around ever since. Ran Arch for years but got more and more annoyed with the direction it was going and the community. I'm currently running Void on my main workstation and Gentoo on the laptop. Also have a media PC with Arch, though I plan to rebuild it one day when I have time... any suggestions for a fun TV-hookup project would be awesome.

I'm currently a sysadmin (though I do some development) in a Windows shop by day, though I'm currently looking for other work. It's been a nightmare trying to run an org with thousands of PCs and dealing with the bull that Microsoft slings in Windows 10. I took the job because it was good money but the headaches just aren't worth it... I'm currently looking for something where I can stretch my coder muscles.

I came to nixers to rekindle some of the community spirit that I am seriously missing. I grew up on IRC and forums, and I miss the community discussion and involvement. I used to be pretty active on the Arch forums (under a different username), but the community there has become unpleasant and uninformed, making good conversation difficult at best.. Y'all seem like a cool group of people and I'd like to get involved.

As far as personal stats, I'm kind of a privacy nut but I'll say that I live somewhere near Portland, OR with my wife and dogs. No kids yet, maybe someday who knows. My hobbies are mostly tech-related, though I also play guitar (poorly) and enjoy hunting/fishing/other outdoorsy stuff.
Halfwit
Members
Join us on IRC if you wish!
acg
Members
Welcome to nixers. It's small but we're mostly active on IRC.
(17-10-2016, 06:10 PM)Halfwit Wrote: Join us on IRC if you wish!
argonaut · musician · developer · writer · https://www.betoissues.com
venam
Administrators
Welcome to the forums.
(17-10-2016, 08:36 PM)albertocg Wrote: Welcome to nixers. It's small but we're mostly active on IRC.
That's because we keep the forums high on quality.
So if you've got some good content we would be glad to host it.
Other than that you can skim though some threads and maybe you'll find something interesting.
josuah
Long time nixers
What a story for an unix aficionado! Hope you find some more interesting work than "headache".

I am on ArchBang, an OpenRC, openbox-based Arch distro. I have only seen one of it- thread, and it looked to be OK so far: http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=5747

I agree with Arch no being as good as it used to, though.
pranomostro
Long time nixers
(17-10-2016, 06:05 PM)evbo Wrote: I'm kind of a privacy nut

:-)

(17-10-2016, 06:05 PM)evbo Wrote: I came to nixers to rekindle some of the community spirit that I am seriously missing. I grew up on IRC and forums, and I miss the community discussion and involvement.

Yes, this is really the reason I stayed active here. Love it seeing someone joining this particular forum!
Welcome.
evbo
Members
Thanks all for the welcome, I will definitely be in IRC once I get my desktop back up and running. My 6 year old HDD finally kicked the bucket last night (thanks to nightly backups to my owncloud VPS, this isn't the big deal it used to be) so I get to reinstall tonight after work.
Pieces Of Quiet
Members
welcome! what kind of power does your laptop have to run gentoo, or are you just happy to wait for compile times?
evbo
Members
It's a T430, so compiles aren't too shabby. I don't use my laptop that much so running an @world update does take a while, and I tend to slack on getting them done.