I bought a nexus 7! - Off topic

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Jayro
Long time nixers
Hey guys!

I just bought a nexus 7 tablet and I thought the first thing I should do with it is post on unixhub!

Now to get an Irc client!
FreeBSD
Long time nixers
Haha awesome are you going to root it or put a custom rom on it or anything?!
I do Byte
matt
Members
I picked up a nexus 7 last month. Fantastic tablet which replaced my iPad.

Storage isn't great but I stream most of my content from services like Netflix, spotify and a home dlna server.

AndChat is a decent IRC client. Enjoy your purchase.
Jayro
Long time nixers
(04-09-2012, 06:30 PM)FreeBSD Wrote: Haha awesome are you going to root it or put a custom rom on it or anything?!

Obviously! I would love to put MIUI on it!
FreeBSD
Long time nixers
(04-09-2012, 11:52 PM)Jayro Wrote:
(04-09-2012, 06:30 PM)FreeBSD Wrote: Haha awesome are you going to root it or put a custom rom on it or anything?!

Obviously! I would love to put MIUI on it!

Haha awesome! I like playing around with other ROMs and used cyanogenmod for my stable one! Also post pics!!
I do Byte
D9u
Long time nixers
From what I've seen the Nexus is an awesome device, but I'm really partial to a physical keyboard.
I hate how on screen keyboards block part of the screen, but I have seen some cool roll up USB keyboards that travel nicely.
It looks great and I know you'll have a blast with it!
Mobile computing has been my only access to the net for several years - I live in the boonies, no utilities - so battery life is a big deal. I'm interested to see what sort of life the battery has under heavy use and a weak signal.
That said, your choice of OS might help with power requirements.

Congratulations!

// end beer fueled rambling.
BSD is what you get when a bunch of Unix hackers sit down to try to port a Unix system to the PC.
Linux is what you get when a bunch of PC hackers sit down and try to write a Unix system for the PC.
jazzycool
Long time nixers
First congrats for your nexus 7. Well, apparently i really don't like nexus 7 due to storage problem, hope there would have google cloud storage then it would have been easy for everyone to even look for it i mean although it's a hit you know i like to store more things on it so i don't like it, may be galaxy tab 2 would be my second choice budget wise and also for the quality rather than buying closed version of apple i would prefer open source android
Jayro
Long time nixers
(21-09-2012, 11:34 PM)jazzycool Wrote: First congrats for your nexus 7. Well, apparently i really don't like nexus 7 due to storage problem, hope there would have google cloud storage then it would have been easy for everyone to even look for it i mean although it's a hit you know i like to store more things on it so i don't like it, may be galaxy tab 2 would be my second choice budget wise and also for the quality rather than buying closed version of apple i would prefer open source android

Google does have cloud storage, called Google Drive. You can install the Google Drive App on any Android device and access your files that way. However, it does not easily allow for simple file synchronization to the device. You must use the app to access / manage your files.
Dritz
Long time nixers
I have one of these too.

I managed to tether wifi from it to my crap box in my room.

If you want to do something similar, just ask. The documentation for a reverse tether without a payed app is kinda crappy.

Oh, and you'll notice that now with the latest version of android, youtube videos stop playing when you turn your screen off.

There's not really any way to get around it with the youtube app, but there is a program called pvstar if you're interested.

(give it a google)

Have fun, and congrats!
"Willful ignorance is a crime"
Jayro
Long time nixers
(26-09-2012, 02:23 AM)Dritz Wrote: I have one of these too.

I managed to tether wifi from it to my crap box in my room.

If you want to do something similar, just ask. The documentation for a reverse tether without a payed app is kinda crappy.

Oh, and you'll notice that now with the latest version of android, youtube videos stop playing when you turn your screen off.

There's not really any way to get around it with the youtube app, but there is a program called pvstar if you're interested.

(give it a google)

Have fun, and congrats!

I did notice that about the youtube app, thanks for the tip!