Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
delete
Members
Hey everyone,

it's time to introduce myself, after seeing a few threads, where I wanted to write something, but didn't because I wanted to tell you who I am first.
I am asyncial, and I really like to know, what is going on on my computer. For that reason I study computer science and I experiment a lot with *nix in my free time.

I use Arch Linux with i3-gaps on my laptop, which is the system I use the most. On my tower runs Arch too, but also OpenSuse Tumbleweed and Windows 10 (just for the games, I swear!) I also use Alpine Linux on my Raspberry Pi Media Server and RetroPie (Debian) on my Raspberry Pi emulator console.

Lately I'm especially interested in the philosophies standing behind the different software and operating systems, like the classic unix philosophy, but also the hard copyleft philosophy behind the GPL and stuff like this. Besides that, I am into ricing, building PCs, cryptography, artificial intellegence and robotics.

English is not my native tongue, so expect me to make mistakes.
So, I hope I have something to contribute to this forums.

See ya!
acg
Members
Hi, welcome to the forums!

I think there's a thread about unix philosophy somewhere in the forum if you're interested. Also, what's your mother tongue?
argonaut · musician · developer · writer · https://www.betoissues.com
venam
Administrators
Welcome to nixers asyncial.
hades
Long time nixers
Welcome!

(09-01-2017, 12:57 PM)asyncial Wrote: Arch Linux with i3-gaps
Mah man!

(09-01-2017, 12:57 PM)asyncial Wrote: Windows 10 (just for the games, I swear!)
We'll let you off easy... this time!

(09-01-2017, 12:57 PM)asyncial Wrote: I am into [...] artificial intellegence and robotics.
Very Well, I'd love to learn more about both of these topics. I think we need a resident expert in AI here.
delete
Members
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

@albertocg: My native tongue is German. And I already read a lot of the threads here and found this one, too, but thanks :)

@hades: i3-gaps has almost exactly my level of configurability while also being quite light in the configuration effort. I just wish, there was some way, to split the config file into more than one, like the .Xresources, maybe...
And I wouldn't call me an AI expert exactly, but I hope, I will become one over time ;)
josuah
Long time nixers
Hello there asyncial!

Glad to find an Alpine user. I may try to use it again this year.
delete
Members
(10-01-2017, 12:48 PM)josuah Wrote: Glad to find an Alpine user. I may try to use it again this year.
Do it! I really really like it. Wouldn't be my daily driver (yet), but I am quite impressed of how basic a system can be and still work very fine. Besides apk just deserves more love. The docs are also alright. Not as good as the BSDs or Arch imo, but nice for a distro with a userbase this small.
xero
Long time nixers
Quote:welcome to nixers
mrtn
Members
Welcome fellow german. Have fun with computer science and *nix at all times! I find it quite funny that people keep Win10 around for gaming. Guess I'm lucky that I almost exclusively played games that came to linux early (thanks gaben).
delete
Members
Thanks for your kind words xero and mrtn. Regarding Windows: While it is true, that most of the games, that I like the most, are availible for Linux now (and I am being these exclusively now), the issue of the performance remains. I have a Radeon HD7770 in my PC, which does not perform too nicely. So I take every bit of performance I can get, to run modern games. But the radeon linux driver is not very good and the amdgpu at least for my gen neither plus the poor linux ports makes me keep Windows at hand. But I am ready to get rid of it, as soon, as the radeon/amdgpu drivers are as good as in Windows.
mrtn
Members
Hehe, yeah, good ol' amd. Had problems with them a few years back as well - that's the reason i bought nvidia only the last few years. With notebooks i just take what i can get, because i only bought used since finishing university.
nxll
Members
Welcome to nixers asyncial, good to have you with us.