Less Ties With A Machine - Desktop Customization & Workflow

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
seninha
Long time nixers
I try to set up my digital home with few dotfiles. There is a common denominator for configuration in UNIX called environment variables. It is not as complex as Windows Registers and not as widely used. But I try to rely on them as most as I can, because it is easy to move configuration back and forth when all you need to change is the script you call to set those variables.

I keep the notes on how to set up my digital home in a home.txt file. All my system revolves around three scripts: profile, which set the variables; session, which sets a terminal session; and this Rube Goldberg machine I call xsession, which sets a X11 session. All scripts depend on programs that can be used as is, with as little configuration as possible. The script gluing them together is how I configure them.
mcotocel
Members
(26-04-2021, 10:57 AM)venam Wrote: Alright, one of my favorite thread.
I've been trying out nix the past few days and as the people in this thread have noted, it's indeed a wonderful way to have less ties with a machine.
Do you have new tricks or ideas related to that topic? Maybe things related to nix or nixOS too?

I used to use NixOS, and from my experience with it, I'd recommend playing around with the (unstable) Flakes feature, which can be used to set up a new machine running NixOS with all of your dotfiles on it and all of your packages installed.

Along with this feature, I wrote a small shell script to run nix commands and sync my dotfiles, so instead of having to type out all the separate nix and git commands I could run
Code:
script rebuild
to rebuild my configuration,
Code:
script sync
to sync my local dotfiles with the ones on github, and
Code:
script clean
to remove old generations and collect garbage, along with some other commands to do various things in NixOS.
jkl
Long time nixers
(19-08-2021, 07:41 AM)_-_Specter_-_ Wrote: I'd recommend playing around with the (unstable) Flakes feature, which can be used to set up a new machine running NixOS with all of your dotfiles on it and all of your packages installed.

Does that work with other version control systems than Git?

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
mcotocel
Members
(19-08-2021, 12:17 PM)jkl Wrote:
(19-08-2021, 07:41 AM)_-_Specter_-_ Wrote: I'd recommend playing around with the (unstable) Flakes feature, which can be used to set up a new machine running NixOS with all of your dotfiles on it and all of your packages installed.

Does that work with other version control systems than Git?

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't. I personally haven't tested other vcs, but pairing flakes with Home-manager to manage dotfiles via symlinks should work with any vcs, and even no vcs at all.