Internet scavenger hunt III - Community & Forums Related Discussions

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Hello hunters!

This post officially starts the third edition of the nixers internet scavenger hunt!
It all starts with this image that is the chest, the key, and the treasure.

[Image: hunt.jpg]

Internet scavenger hunt I
Internet scavenger hunt II

Some important rules:
  • Do not run any portscan, this will only get you lost
  • No external person intervention is required. Don't ask anyone for hints
  • Don't throw away the steps you solved. They might be useful again...
  • Have fun!

EDIT: This hunt is now over. Thanks to everyone involved!
EDIT2: Solution of the hunt can be seen here: http://z3bra.org/hunt
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER
fhee
Members
>nixers.net/hunt
404?
venam
Administrators
(10-03-2017, 10:06 PM)fhee Wrote: >nixers.net/hunt
404?
Red herring maybe, or maybe not?
fhee
Members
it was quite easy. my status has changed, what are the rules?
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Don't take it to easy. That is only the first step. The whole hunt can be done without any people intervention. I won't give you any "rules", you must understand it all yourself. Please don't spoil other users by mentionning the steps you resolved.

If you need help, don't hesitste to ask some help on IRC by messaging me. But well, it's quite easy so you shoudln't need any help :)
wsaile
Members
I've got a 404 at nixers.net/hunt as well.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
This is a hunt, not a bunch of links to follow. All the steps are solvable, but it does not meant they are easy. If you find something you cannot solve in 5 minutes, then you need to try longer, think outside the box. Every detail is important. When there is a text, you should understand its meaning, and not assume is there as a decoration.

If something seems "obvious" but doesn't work (eg. the 404), then it means you're not on the good track, and must try something else.

And no need to ask for "help" if you didn't even try to resolve a hint. Saying "I can't understand X, please help" won't get you anywhere. But saying "I tried X, Y and Z, and it doesn't work, I'm running out of ideas" will probably show that you tried. And at this point I will help you (or make the hint simpler if I realise it's way too hard).
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
For all people doing this hunt: Do not portscan the IPs you find. I am running this hunt on servers of mine running many services unrelated to the hunt, so you will lose time by trying to connect to many of these ports, and it will only get you lost. Do not make it harder than it already is!

I repeat, no portscan is needed/useful to complete this hunt!

Good luck!
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER
xero
Long time nixers
awesome! let's do this thing!
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Did everyone give up? Nobody's asking me questions anymore!
jkl
Long time nixers
I gave up when I failed to find even the starting point.

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(15-03-2017, 02:42 PM)jkl Wrote: I gave up when I failed to find even the starting point.

It is the picture in the first post.
fhee
Members
(15-03-2017, 02:42 PM)jkl Wrote: I gave up when I failed to find even the starting point.
lmao
Dworin
Members
Well, you said it's easy and be solved without any help. But I completely fail to see the clue. So I'll send you a message then.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(17-03-2017, 01:34 AM)Dworin Wrote: Well, you said it's easy and be solved without any help. But I completely fail to see the clue. So I'll send you a message then.

I didn't say it's easy, fhee did (but I still have no news from him).
When I say that it can be solved without any help, I mean it though. But it's definitely not easy. I saw a few people searching down "complex" pathes, and completely missing the obvious hint I left for them (for example, people trying to connect to each port they could after portscanning an IP, which is why I said not to do it).

You can totally ping me on IRC or by mail if you're stuck, and I'll do my best to help you find the answer (I won't give you the answer though, you must find it alone).
strang3quark
Members
Sorry z3bra, I have some important work to do, but I will go back to the hunt as soon as I can.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(17-03-2017, 02:20 PM)strang3quark Wrote: Sorry z3bra, I have some important work to do, but I will go back to the hunt as soon as I can.

No need to apologies!
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Bumping this thread to keep it alive! Some people are getting close to the end, don't give up now ;)
venam
Administrators
Thanks z3bra for taking the time to create this hunt.
It was super fun and got me dealing with many tech I didn't touch before.
Pieces Of Quiet
Members
Is this one going to expire at any point? Don't have the time at the moment to get past where I'm stuck at, but shouldn't be long before I can give it another crack.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
It will expire at some point yeah, but I'll try to warn everyone at least 2 weeks before it does. It will certainly be over by the end of april.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Who's still working on it? It's been a while since someone last pinged me on IRC (and I still can't see anything on my hunt logs :P)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
It looks like many people gave up on it now. If nobody speaks out, I'll probably take it down by next month.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Ok, so my provider just decided that my server will be "decomissioned" because it reached end of support. One of the servers used for the hunt will be shut down on the 2017/05/01. This is then the deadline for everyone to complete the hunt (and there's nothing you can do to postpone it!)

Happy hunting!
robotchaos
Long time nixers
I just found this after some away time. not taking it down yet right?
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Nope, it will stay up until the deadline.
tudurom
Long time nixers
This hunt was so fun! Thank you z3bra for organizing it!
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Hello nixers!
So here we are, 1st of may 2017. My provider decided to decomission my server because it reached "end of life" (typically, they raised their prices and didn't want me to keep this "low cost" server).
This server was hosting a fair part of the hunt challenges, and they died with it. Because of this, this hunt is now officially over.

Thanks to all the people involved in it. Especially xero, for giving me the will to set it up, and helping me testing the challenges before the final release. You're the man (you can finally change back your avatar :P)!

For all the pepple that couldn't finish it, I'll post a video of me doing the hunt, as well a detailed post explaining all the steps. Stay tuned!
evbo
Members
As to the video, I would love to see that z3bra. I have been crazy busy with work and had no time to spend on it, so I'd love to see what you put together.
jkl
Long time nixers
I love how we Windows users would probably have been fucked up at an early step anyway (no file utility, except for that GNU wannabe thingy).

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen