Switching Distros... Suggestions? - Desktop Customization & Workflow

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
gurhush
Long time nixers
So, I've been using Unix-like OSes and GNU/Linux for over a year and a half, and Debian for over a year. I've delved into Gentoo before, but eventually migrated back to Debian. I'm considering switching distros, and I don't really know what to go for. I'm currently considering going back to Gentoo, or giving Slackware or FreeBSD a try. I've heard Arch has improved, is it worth trying in its current state?

Basically ITT: Distro fanboyism at its extreme (within forum rules) to help me pick a distro.
Alexander
Members
I've been using Arch for two months now I think, not a single problem so far. So I would recommend Arch.
gurhush
Long time nixers
(06-09-2012, 11:02 PM)Alexander Wrote: I've been using Arch for two months now i think, not a single problem so far. So i would recommend Arch.

What would you say is your favorite thing about Arch aside from the AUR?
Alexander
Members
Mainly because it's a rolling release and the simplicity. The great documentation is also a big plus.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Well, FreeBSD.
Mafia
Long time nixers
OpenBSD, cough cough.
matt
Members
Stick with debian, switch to testing if you haven't already. However I am a long time debian user (whore) so my opinion may be bias.
gurhush
Long time nixers
(07-09-2012, 02:55 PM)matt Wrote: Stick with debian, switch to testing if you haven't already. However I am a long time debian user (whore) so my opinion may be bias.

I really love Debian and everything about it, I feel like I just might be getting an urge to switch for no real reason.
Robby
Long time nixers
Used Debian for two years and I loved it, hence why I never bothered switching from there. It was my ideal and preferred distribution, but then I gave BSD a try since everyone on derpforums seemed to be using it I decided to give it a try and I'm very glad I did. Couldn't have done it the first time round without shix, google and a little of beastie's help. Thing with FreeBSD is you can always add to it, personally I always find myself with something I have to fix because i'm stuck on dated 8.3 and I've been to hell and back trying to fix or work around various things. Debian is brilliant, but BSD will keep you busy and that's how I see it.
D9u
Long time nixers
I used to play 'musical distros' to the point of having more than 8 different distros on a single 160GB hdd. Lmao!
It was a good way to learn a bit about disk partitioning and GRUB.
Why not try out the systems you're interested in so you can judge for yourself?
Setting up an extended partition isn't too hard, plus a grub menu with several different OS impresses Windows users and you get to run the systems natively - faster than a VM.

It helps if you have a test machine so you don't mess up your daily driver, but even with all the fiddling with my hdd I never did bork my system completely by losing data.
A couple of grub misconfiguration panics, but nothing I couldn't fix after some Googling.
BSD is what you get when a bunch of Unix hackers sit down to try to port a Unix system to the PC.
Linux is what you get when a bunch of PC hackers sit down and try to write a Unix system for the PC.