Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Salutions amis nixers!

I finally decided to take my online experience to the next level and setup this very old new-internet stuff called "Internet Protocol version 6" !

Awesome right?

This is all new to me though, and it seems like a huge part of what I know about ipv4 will be totally useless, and I'm looking for advices and best practices for a good ipv6 setup.

My current server provider is handing a generous /48 range, which I can split in as many /56 as I have servers (4 actually).
Each server can then be delegated a prefix via DHCPv6, and I assign an IP in this delegated prefix to my server so it is then reachable over the new internet.

My question here is: what the hell should I do with all these IP addresses?!

Am I supposed to keep the /48, delegate it to one server and then use this server to assign IPv6 addresses to the other servers? This is unlikely because it creates a single PoF...

Should I just accept the fact I'm creating one sub-prefix per server, each prefix having only one address in it?

Is that how ipv6 works? You just waste millions of IP because nobody cares and we'll never run out of it?

How do you guys go with that new tech?
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER
venam
Administrators
(28-03-2019, 05:01 PM)z3bra Wrote: My current server provider is handing a generous /48 range, which I can split in as many /56 as I have servers (4 actually).
From my small knowledge of networking, I'm still looking forward to your video courses if you're willing to continue them, IPV6 and IPV4 are on totally different stacks. The client will try to resolve a domain name to an IPV6 then IPV4 usually.
So your provider gave you a generous range of IPV6 addresses however a lot of clients won't be able to communicate with those, are all those IPV6 also accompanied with a single IPV4 address. The coexistence between the two is kind of a hassle in this case as you may still require an IPV4 to have the box accessible for some persons.

I have no clue about your initial question.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Keeping the dual-stack is not an issue. I know that I'll need to work like that until the whole internet is ready. I want to make all my services available on both networks, and start playing with some transition mechanisms for learning purposes.

Right now I need pointers on the best practices for ipv6 networking, as the way it works is totally different from ipv4.

And yeah, finishing these courses is in my pipes, but I need a new microphone to do so...
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
I decided to go with the following:

I created one /56 prefix per server, chose an IP address for each server in their respective range, and be done with it.