Poll: What device do you use the most?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Desktop 7 33.33%
Laptop 10 47.62%
Tablet/iPad 1 4.76%
Phone 3 14.29%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
kus
Registered
Hello, I am kus. I am new here.
venam
Administrators
Hello kus,
Welcome to nixers, nice poll we've never had this question asked to the community.

Be sure to check us out on IRC too for random chit-chat.
twee
Members
Hi kus.

Do you want us to elaborate on what device we use the most? I use my laptop the most because it is the most convenient to move around with while still being something I can configure myself. I like to program while in bed.
kus
Registered
i was just going to say hello but saw there was an option to make a poll so i went for it :D

not a scientific poll or anything, just an ice breaker. for example, I am on a desktop computer now because the only mouse and keyboard I have are on the computer. I actually don't know which device I use the most. I know it definitely isn't my Nexus 7 because it is slow as molasses now for some reason. This desktop has an i3-2100 CPU. I put an 860 Evo 1 TB to replace the aging hard disk on it and frankly isn't much worse than my i5-8500 deskop at work with twice the RAM (16 GB) but a 5400 RPM hard disk. In fact, I think the desktop at work feels worse because of all the spyware we have on it.

Even my Lenovo ideapad flex 14 with 12 GB RAM, Ryzen r5 3500u processor, and supposedly an NVMe SSD isn't much better.
ckester
Nixers
My desktop is a cheap old Gateway DX4885-UB3A that I've upgraded with two 1TB hard drives. It has an i5-4430 processor. I've got it connected to an HP Pavilion 27xi 27-inch LED monitor which might have cost me more than the rest of the machine, but I think the extra screen real estate is worth it when I'm programming.

My laptop is an even older ThinkPad T410. It's a heavy, clunky brute by today's standards but it still runs like a champ and I don't use it more than once a week anyway.

Currently running MXLinux on both machines, but as I said in my own intro I'm thinking of going back to one of the BSD's -- if I can confirm that my scanner will work with them. (It's one of those flatbeds from Canon, whose support for open source platforms is abysmal.)

Oh, and I might as well mention my most ancient yet trustworthy piece of hardware: my HP LaserJet 4plus printer. I've had that thing since I don't know when and other than needing its rollers cleaned every couple of years has been extremely low maintenance. They don't make them like that any more, which is a shame.
jkl
Long time nixers
Welcome to nixers!

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Raising up the desktop number !

Welcome to the forums :) Also kudos for running such a devilish device for that long !
seninha
Long time nixers
Hello, welcome to Nixers!

I'm using a Thinkpad T430 i5-3320M with a T420 keyboard, running OpenBSD.
twee
Members
It took me a long time to realise that OpenBSD was what I was looking for but I'm very glad I did.
wolf
Members
(08-05-2020, 05:11 AM)twee Wrote: It took me a long time to realise that OpenBSD was what I was looking for but I'm very glad I did.

There it is!