Workflow Compilation 2020 [finished] - Desktop Customization & Workflow

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
stark
Members
It has been a looong time since we did this, so here's to another Workflow Compilation 2020 .

If you have participated in the last two threads (#1 & #2) then you know the drill, if not no worries our savior z3bra got your back ;D

What is it ?
This is a video compiling a bunch of screencast from the nixers members, all performing the same task, but using their personal setup.
this would result in a compilation showing the personal workflow of each participant, and setting a comparison point between them.

Can I participate ?
Sure ! The more videos we get, the better. Just post your submission and we'll add it !

What are the rules ?
1. Nixers will have to perform the tasks in the exact order they are listed (see below).
2. Nixers must use a single monitor for the screencast
3. Nixers' screen resolution should be above 1280x720
4. Nixers submissions should be in webm format
5. Nixers should submit their compilation before 2020-06-17 at midnight (UTC)

How can I record the video ?
The command to use is the following (adjust the resolution to fit your actual setup):

Code:
RESOLUTION=1440x900
ffmpeg -f x11grab -s $RESOLUTION -an -r 16 -loglevel quiet -i :0.0 -b:v 5M -y workflow-compil-${USER}.webm

For those running OSX:

Code:
RESOLUTION=1440x900
ffmpeg -f avfoundation -s $RESOLUTION -an -r 16 -loglevel quiet -i 0:none -b:v 5M -y workflow-compil-${USER}.webm

To end the video, press `q`.

What is the task list ?
  • Put on some music
  • Write some code and push it to a public repo of your choice ( This includes but not limited to services like GitHub, private hostings, etc. but as long as it's under a code repository and available publicly it fits )
  • Send an email to youhavemyc@protonmail.com
  • Take a scrot ( beautify it if you must ) and upload it to a pastebin of your choice
  • Join the IRC at irc.freenode.net/6697 (SSL only) and paste the link to the scrot in #nixers_net

Happy hacking !

Submissions

Venam's edit:

The result has been uploaded here and on Youtube.
All your unicodes belong to me
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Yay !! I'm up for it, thanks for starting it again stark ?

How about having a twist on this new edition, rather than just copying the last one ?

We could do some sort of "pass the ball" video, where every user receives an email with a task, showcase it and prepare a task to the next one. This way the whole video would be all nixers asking each other to perform a task. What do you think ?
venam
Administrators
(17-05-2020, 06:10 PM)z3bra Wrote: We could do some sort of "pass the ball" video, where every user receives an email with a task
To do this we'll have to list the names of all participants first. Also, it's going to be much slower as everyone will have to wait for each others.
jkl
Long time nixers
Is there a limitation on the operating systems allowed in this compilation?

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(18-05-2020, 01:01 AM)venam Wrote:
(17-05-2020, 06:10 PM)z3bra Wrote: We could do some sort of "pass the ball" video, where every user receives an email with a task
To do this we'll have to list the names of all participants first. Also, it's going to be much slower as everyone will have to wait for each others.

That's true. I don't know if that's something we can do or not then ?

(18-05-2020, 05:06 AM)jkl Wrote: Is there a limitation on the operating systems allowed in this compilation?

Hopefully not. This is a workflow compilation, not an OS show case.
stark
Members
Hmm. Well people who would participate can drop their email here, if they don't get a reply within 2 days, they can just follow the old ( or a new ? ) task list. How about that ?
jkl
Long time nixers
I don't think it's a good idea to make this thread a detectable list of valid e-mail addresses.

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
venam
Administrators
(18-05-2020, 07:27 AM)jkl Wrote: I don't think it's a good idea to make this thread a detectable list of valid e-mail addresses.

I agree, let's take that off the table for now. Let's keep the workflow compilation as is, a list of items to execute.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Ok, we keep the old way of doing it ! Same tasks ? What is the time limit for submissions ?

How about focusing on one task that might involve multiple one ? Like fixing a "fake bug" (get source, compile, debug, edit) and submitting a patch/PR (formatting patch, sending email/browsing web) ?
jkl
Long time nixers
The current list of tasks involves more different tools than I'd like to (at least three different ones).

--
stark
Members
(18-05-2020, 09:59 AM)z3bra Wrote: Ok, we keep the old way of doing it ! Same tasks ? What is the time limit for submissions ?

How about focusing on one task that might involve multiple one ? Like fixing a "fake bug" (get source, compile, debug, edit) and submitting a patch/PR (formatting patch, sending email/browsing web) ?

Good one. In addition, we can also setup a git repo somewhere for people to post hello-world-esque programs when they have no idea where to get started ?
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(18-05-2020, 10:38 AM)jkl Wrote: The current list of tasks involves more different tools than I'd like to (at least three different ones).

What would you suggest instead ?

Here are a bunch of stuff I do frequently to give ideas:
  • write code/emails
  • manage remote servers
  • try to switch to openbsd full time
  • worry about backups
jkl
Long time nixers
I would probably prefer tasks which do not involve showing off. :-)

--
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Feel free to submit ideas then ☺
stark
Members
(19-05-2020, 01:04 AM)jkl Wrote: I would probably prefer tasks which do not involve showing off. :-)

Well, the whole idea of Workflow compilation is about showing off how you use your *nix most days. I'd guess you'd love a scavenger hunt but yeah, if you have any ideas do pitch in. We are all brainstorming here : )
jkl
Long time nixers
I would add "write a blog article", but I guess most of you don't have a blog.

Maybe "clone one of your projects, change something and commit the changes to whatever VCS you use"?

--
neeasade
Grey Hair Nixers
> I would add "write a blog article", but I guess most of you don't have a blog.

You might be surprised, almost everyone in this thread has one :P

> Maybe "clone one of your projects, change something and commit the changes to whatever VCS you use"?

I like this one!

-

I like the current list. I don't have a fancy mail setup so I might just make a dummy somewhere for this.
neeasade
Grey Hair Nixers
> Maybe "clone one of your projects, change something and commit the changes to whatever VCS you use"?

Maybe we could all even clone the same repo/make a comparable diff
stark
Members
Alright, after alot of chit chat we have finalized on the task list and the post has been updated. Thanks everyone for pitching it : )
venam
Administrators
Here is my submission.

I'm thrilled to see what other people's contributions are going to be this year!
jkl
Long time nixers
I have a strong feeling that the recommended settings for macOS ("OS X") are lacking, but who am I to judge?
(I recommend to play it with 0.5x speed.)

https://cloud.rosaelefanten.org/index.ph...cW7kr2H7t9

--
movq
Long time nixers
Here's mine. Hope it still counts, despite the lack of a successful IRC connection.

https://dump.uninformativ.de/v/38d22d61e...-vain.webm (77 MB)
https://dump.uninformativ.de/v/38d22d61e...l-vain.mp4 (10 MB)

These files will auto-delete in a year.

(Included the mp4, because the webm file has blown up in size.)
pkal
Long time nixers
Here's my submission: https://diode.zone/videos/watch/f8b1f5ec...ef2b9f8ceb -- representing the Emacs Gang!

A new notes:
- For some reason the recording was sped-up, so it seems like I'm a fast, even though I'm not really. So consider dereasing the playback speed
- I was interrupted for a moment midway through (just after pushing the commit)
- My configuration is currently in a limbo, so I had to fix a few things during the video (changing the git url, loading 0x0), but I think that adds to the reality of such a video.
movq
Long time nixers
(20-05-2020, 02:00 PM)jkl Wrote: (I recommend to play it with 0.5x speed.)

(22-05-2020, 06:30 AM)zge Wrote: For some reason the recording was sped-up, so it seems like I'm a fast, even though I'm not really. So consider dereasing the playback speed

At least my system (i7-3770 from 2013) is too slow for the recommended ffmpeg call. Lot of frames were dropped, final video was sped up. That's why I recorded using ffmpeg's defaults (ffmpeg -y -video_size 1280x1024 -framerate 25 -f x11grab -i ... output.mp4) and then created a webm afterwards.
jkl
Long time nixers
(22-05-2020, 06:30 AM)zge Wrote: representing the Emacs Gang!

It's weird seeing an Emacs without almost no visual changes...

(22-05-2020, 07:30 AM)vain Wrote: At least my system (i7-3770 from 2013) is too slow for the recommended ffmpeg call.

MacBook Pro 2019 here. That's not it, I guess.

--
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
For the record, the video being "faster" is expected. That is what the « -r 16 » is for. I originally came up with this so the video would be shorter overall, and smaller in size too, thus resulting in a shorter full video. Our computer interfaces don't need a full 25 fps recording anyway.

Also, being a slow typer myself (~40 wpm), watching my own video felt slugish, and it was really frustrating to look at. Accelerating the video would make everyone a fast typist, plus it get straight to the point quicker.

Also @vain, the ffmpeg recording at 16 fps rather than 25, it should take less resource to record... Maybe that was the buffer size or something.
jkl
Long time nixers
I understand. Now the problem is that it is really hard even for me to follow my workflow in my video because everything is too fast...
Anyway, today I learned a thing or two about ffmpeg, so thank you. I had never used that for more than just some format conversion.

--
venam
Administrators
(22-05-2020, 02:58 PM)jkl Wrote: For the record, the video being "faster" is expected. That is what the « -r 16 » is for. I originally came up with this so the video would be shorter overall, and smaller too, thus resulting in a shorter full video. Our computer interfaces don't need a full 25 fps recording anyway.

I think I missed that, I'll re-upload my video with the speedup and put it on the same link.
movq
Long time nixers
Oh, I see. Same video, but faster:

https://dump.uninformativ.de/v/1af132f0b...faster.mp4 (10 MB)
https://dump.uninformativ.de/v/1af132f0b...aster.webm (70 MB)

(Again, will auto-delete in a year.)

It's indeed a bit more pleasent to watch. :-) Although, I think it's also nice if you get a feeling for how fast someone really is. Not that I try to be as fast as possible, but it's still interesting.

Still no idea, why my webm is so huge, but yeah.
stark
Members
(20-05-2020, 02:00 PM)jkl Wrote: I have a strong feeling that the recommended settings for macOS ("OS X") are lacking, but who am I to judge?
(I recommend to play it with 0.5x speed.)

https://cloud.rosaelefanten.org/index.ph...cW7kr2H7t9

Can you please re-record and push your code to a public repo this time ? Thanks for participating : )