Workflow Compilation 2020 [finished] - Desktop Customization & Workflow

Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
stark
Members
(22-05-2020, 04:34 PM)vain Wrote: Oh, I see. Same video, but faster:

https://dump.uninformativ.de/v/1af132f0b...faster.mp4 (10 MB)
https://dump.uninformativ.de/v/1af132f0b...aster.webm (70 MB)

(Again, will auto-delete in a year.)

It's indeed a bit more pleasent to watch. :-) Although, I think it's also nice if you get a feeling for how fast someone really is. Not that I try to be as fast as possible, but it's still interesting.

Still no idea, why my webm is so huge, but yeah.

You need to disable ssl verification in your irc client for irc.unix.chat ( it's a self signed cert, nothing to worry about ). Can you please re-record ? Thanks for participating : )
stark
Members
(22-05-2020, 03:19 PM)venam Wrote:
(22-05-2020, 02:58 PM)jkl Wrote: For the record, the video being "faster" is expected. That is what the « -r 16 » is for. I originally came up with this so the video would be shorter overall, and smaller too, thus resulting in a shorter full video. Our computer interfaces don't need a full 25 fps recording anyway.

I think I missed that, I'll re-upload my video with the speedup and put it on the same link.

Oh good, I was about to tell you to re-record it and push the code somewhere :P
jkl
Long time nixers
(22-05-2020, 04:35 PM)stark Wrote: Can you please re-record and push your code to a public repo this time ?

WebDAV is actually public...?

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
stark
Members
(22-05-2020, 05:21 PM)jkl Wrote:
(22-05-2020, 04:35 PM)stark Wrote: Can you please re-record and push your code to a public repo this time ?

WebDAV is actually public...?

Sure is, but do you actually use it for versioning your code ? Also where can I access your webdav directory ?
jkl
Long time nixers
I use quite a couple of repositories for my code. There were no restrictions on the allowed ones.

(So an additional requirement is that we’ll post our repositories here as well?)

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
venam
Administrators
(23-05-2020, 04:59 AM)jkl Wrote: (So an additional requirement is that we’ll post our repositories here as well?)

I don't think it should, there's no point in adding unnecessary conditions to this compilation.
movq
Long time nixers
Very well, next try:

https://dump.uninformativ.de/v/0cc081ec84/

Everything I do feels like it's 100% standard and boring, compared to the other vids. :)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(23-05-2020, 04:59 AM)jkl Wrote: I use quite a couple of repositories for my code. There were no restrictions on the allowed ones.

(So an additional requirement is that we’ll post our repositories here as well?)

I think stark expected a VCS requiring a bit more dedication tham editing remote files over webdav ☺
If there wasn't /WebDAV/ in the file path, it could have been unnoticed. As long as it's how you work, I think it's cool to see something different that git.
jkl
Long time nixers
(23-05-2020, 11:24 AM)z3bra Wrote: I think stark expected a VCS requiring a bit more dedication tham editing remote files over webdav ☺

After all, this is a forum for using the best tool for a given job ... ;-)

--
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
And this is a workflow video ! So if your workflow involves that, you better showcase it !
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Here is my take: http://pub.z3bra.org/dev/random/workflow...-2020.webm

I do agree that this framerate is pretty fast indeed… We might need a way to slow down a few of them, so they don't last 10 seconds (looking at you jkl !). Because it goes so fast that you can barely figure out what is going on sometimes.
stark
Members
(23-05-2020, 12:38 PM)z3bra Wrote: And this is a workflow video ! So if your workflow involves that, you better showcase it !

Exactly, writing random code is fine, but if you are not showcasing the tools that you ACTUALLY use in your day to day life, then's what's the point ? : )
stark
Members
(23-05-2020, 10:11 AM)vain Wrote: Very well, next try:

https://dump.uninformativ.de/v/0cc081ec84/

Everything I do feels like it's 100% standard and boring, compared to the other vids. :)

Some bridges are boring to look at, but they work as they are intended to everytime : )
As long as it's true to your daily workflow, it's good.
jkl
Long time nixers
(23-05-2020, 03:23 PM)stark Wrote: if you are not showcasing the tools that you ACTUALLY use in your day to day life, then's what's the point ? : )

See, the problem is that I don't have "one workflow"...

I actually use TECO, GNU Emacs, ed, nvi and Acme as text editors in my day to day life.

I actually use Fossil, Subversion, SCCS and a very limited set of Git commands in my day to day life.

I actually publish my code via WebDAV, GitHub Gists, forum attachments, IRC private messages (not joking), small (mine) and big (theirs) hosting facilities.

Had I known that only a limited subset of those was allowed in this compilation, I would have made a different video. I'd like the workflow judge to give a list of allowed workflows before I consider a second video that still does not fit the yet-to-be-listed rules.

edit: Fixed: I actually use more SVN than Darcs in 2020.

--
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
I doubt stark's intervention was targetting you. It was more general pointer for people considering making a "cool" video rather than a real one.

Your video is fine, at least, by my standards, and I liked it ! It lacks the IRC part, but as you never join the serv, that would not be YOUR workflow. Don't make a new one, and stop bragging about how hipsterish your tools are ;)
jkl
Long time nixers
(23-05-2020, 05:42 PM)z3bra Wrote: I doubt stark's intervention was targetting you.

My video is still missing in his list above.

(23-05-2020, 05:42 PM)z3bra Wrote: It lacks the IRC part, but as you never join the serv, that would not be YOUR workflow.

I'm always on the IRC, but I was banned on the nixers channel long ago. ;-)
But I even had the IRC part, it is in the last second of my video... you would have noticed if it would have been in real time ... :-D

--
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Ouch, indeed, it is in the very last seconds ^^
I guess you're too much of a fast typist for mere mortals to even notice you :P
jkl
Long time nixers
That happens when you have a regular workflow... :-D

--
stark
Members
(23-05-2020, 06:41 PM)jkl Wrote:
(23-05-2020, 05:42 PM)z3bra Wrote: I doubt stark's intervention was targetting you.

My video is still missing in his list above.

(23-05-2020, 05:42 PM)z3bra Wrote: It lacks the IRC part, but as you never join the serv, that would not be YOUR workflow.

I have asked 2 other participants in this thread to re-record because something was missing in their videos ( according to the task list ), and when they rectified it their videos were added to the list.

If I wanted everyone to upload their plain text file to a private web directory ( which does not classifies as a code repository on it's own ), I would have mentioned so ( even would have suggested some relevant services ) but I explicitly mentioned "public repo". None of the other participants have had any trouble understanding it and neither should you.
jkl
Long time nixers
My WebDAV is publicly available, so it fits your requirement. But I understand that my workflow does not fit what you accept as a workflow, and I am not willing to continue this.

Edited.

--
venam
Administrators
I've uploaded my video again here. Apparently, I wasn't following the rules properly. While, I find the restrictions a bit stringent, it's still your compilation and you can choose the rules, but that means fewer people will partake.
mort
Members
Here's my recording (warning: sound): https://s.mort.coffee/media/workflow-202...kflow.webm

I tried to make it interesting by speeding up and slowing down in places and cutting slightly. Here's the raw recording, just sped up 4x: https://s.mort.coffee/media/workflow-202...aw-4x.webm

The feature I implemented during the screencast is here: https://github.com/mortie/swaylock-effec...d8bb5186f7

Some info about my setup:
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Nixers compilation 2020 part 1: Nixers' workflow
Nixers compilation 2020 part 2: mort's
banna
Members
mort
Members
Alright, yeah, mine was kind of long. Here's a 2 minute version: https://s.mort.coffee/media/workflow-202...short.webm
seninha
Long time nixers
here is mine

In the video it appears my machine's username (lucas) in neofetch (that's my real name).
But in the compilation, you can just put "phillbush".
neeasade
Grey Hair Nixers
recorded with: ffmpeg -threads 0 -f pulse -i default -s "$RESOLUTION" -framerate 20 -f x11grab -i :0.0+0,0 -c:v libx264 -preset ultrafast -c:a aac workflow-compil-neeasade.mp4

decided to go in one take, little slow for the script idea in the middle. also @stark sorry re: mp4 format and sound, ping me on irc or here and I can encode it differently maybe, it's a little wonky

upload (94mb, ~7min, 20FPS): https://u.teknik.io/fAd5S.mp4

edit: also the colors in this are a little uhhhhh in flux as @Cthulhux points out :P so sorry about that
seninha
Long time nixers
Reuploading my video because the last one got deleted: here it is
movq
Long time nixers
Uhh, yeah, might will vanish in a couple of days, too. I thought this would be over by then. :-)

(Note to self: In case I have to re-upload later, the md5sums are 4a8f6f39465b2b82ee4a81ca17e3df7b for mp4 and a5f6b76218cdcfeb7eb361265dbfd2e4 for webm. The files are in ~/video. :-))
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
I don't think stark is gonna do it unfortunately. Anyone up for taking it over ?