Hobbies - Off topic

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
gmk
Long time nixers
(05-08-2020, 05:42 AM)jkl Wrote: That would be rather wrong though, because Chi does not equal C at all. In fact, there is no Greek C.

Well of course it doesn't equate "C", it is just simply a character that I chose to have symbolize it. According to my textbook, "χ", at least in the ancient pronunciation, equates to "kh", as in backhand. This program isn't made to directly phonetically translate words, perhaps "hellenize" is not a fit name, but merely to replace certain patterns with proper characters. For example, the sequence "`h" would be transpired to "ὴ", not because the letter "h" is phonetically equivalent to eta (the rough breathing sound does not actually have a sound in Greek, merely a notation above letters), but because the two glyphs look similar, at least when they are capitalized.

I do, however appreciate that you pointed that out, as I am still learning Greek, and by no means an expert. Obviously I'd like to know when I have false assumptions about something.
jkl
Long time nixers
Probably symbolizing characters with entirely different characters is not a meaningful thing to do ... :)

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
gmk
Long time nixers
(05-08-2020, 03:10 PM)jkl Wrote: Probably symbolizing characters with entirely different characters is not a meaningful thing to do ... :)

I agree, just something that works for me.
movq
Long time nixers
Interesting to see quite a few people here making music. It’s a bit telling that none of you guys posted a link to your band, so I assume we don’t have any superstars in disguise on this forum. :)

I’ve been trying to make music since I got a (relatively) fast computer in the 1990’ies (I remember there came some demo software with the first CD writer I got), but don’t hold your breath, it’s all just me fooling around with synthesizers. I don’t play a real instrument.

It started with using simple sequencers on Windows 95 (no, wait, before that I was fooling around with Cool Edit on Windows 3.1 -- what a lovely experience), then, on Linux, I moved on to trackers (like aldrin, which is now unmaintained). Lately, I began using LMMS and Ardour, both were a huge step forward. Maybe I can finally do something non-trivial. Donated a few bucks to these projects. I spend a lot of time in LMMS/Ardour at the moment. PM me if you want to hear some samples.

Both are really complex tools and not really “UNIX-y”, but audio production in general is an absolute nightmare if you try to get good results, so the tools are inevitably complex. Except for the stuff that freddie mentioned in the first posting, of course. Remember that? https://nixers.net/showthread.php?tid=19...3#pid15683.

Other than that, I love birds (sometimes taking care of the chickens at my mum’s place) and do blackletter calligraphy every now and then. I usually do it with real ink, but I also own a Wacom tablet and practice in GIMP, so there’s the connection to *nix.

Been trying to learn Finnish for a while now, but oof. Kirjakieli vs. puhekieli doesn’t make this easier.
s0kx
Members
(15-08-2020, 01:49 PM)vain Wrote: Been trying to learn Finnish
Onnea matkaan t. native speaker
movq
Long time nixers
Kiitos. I was a little bit afraid this might happen. %) I really don’t know a lot, need to start learning again (been neglecting it, tbh) and put more effort into it.
s0kx
Members
Hoping to visit Finland someday or are you just torturing yourself for fun?
venam
Administrators
(15-08-2020, 01:49 PM)vain Wrote: Remember that? https://nixers.net/showthread.php?tid=19...3#pid15683.

These were really fun. Too bad we ended up going with the bari-saxo instead.
movq
Long time nixers
(15-08-2020, 03:55 PM)sokx Wrote: Hoping to visit Finland someday or are you just torturing yourself for fun?

Both, kind of. I’d love to go there some day, but I also like the sound of the language and it’s an intriguing challenge to learn it. I’m not delusional though :), my goal is just to understand some basic stuff.

It isn’t the most logical choice, sure. It would make a lot more sense for me to learn Polish or Turkish, because a lot of people from those countries come to us and work for us and I can’t understand a word they’re saying. I can’t even say “thank you” to them. Pretty embarrassing.

(Can’t this planet agree on one language? ;))

(15-08-2020, 04:57 PM)venam Wrote: These were really fun. Too bad we ended up going with the bari-saxo instead.
The sax had a very “1970 feeling” to it. Dunno. I liked both.
pranomostro
Long time nixers
(15-08-2020, 04:57 PM)venam Wrote:
(15-08-2020, 01:49 PM)vain Wrote: Remember that? https://nixers.net/showthread.php?tid=19...3#pid15683.

These were really fun. Too bad we ended up going with the bari-saxo instead.

Hey! I put like (remembers) 30 minutes into that!

;-)