[Suggestion] Given Thanks. - Off topic

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Mafia
Long time nixers
Would it be to much to ask for your Given thanks to be clickable, so that you may find each post that you where thanked for and others can aswell? Seems like a reasonable and useful implementation.

e.g basically the same as rep, but instead of a rep count it would be similar to a thread list like if you where to click on "My posts".
zygotb
Long time nixers
(13-10-2012, 10:41 PM)Mafia Wrote: Would it be to much to ask for your Given thanks to be clickable, so that you may find each post that you where thanked for and others can aswell? Seems like a reasonable and useful implementation.

e.g basically the same as rep, but instead of a rep count it would be similar to a thread list like if you where to click on "My posts".
Off topic:
You know, I had it all backwards.
I thought that the "Thanks:" count was for how many times I'd been thanked, and that the "Given:" count was for how many times I had thanked someone else.
Derp de derr!
I kept thanking people and not seeing my "Given:" count go up. Lol!
Thanks for posting this, because I probably wouldn't have caught on for quite awhile.

On topic:
I noticed that if I'm not logged in I can see who thanked whose posts, but it's only on the post which was thanked. (if that makes any sense)

I'd better get some sleep! I've been losing way too much shut-eye time glued to my netbook since I got it going.
Someone doesn't appreciate my php generated image!
Mafia
Long time nixers
Yeah, I noticed on some threads I could see the given thanks. But I have yet to find the thanks ive been given lol. That's why I want the given to be clickable with a list of the givens.
venam
Administrators
I don't really see the point of having a reputation here on this forum yet.
However, a little change in the name colour for administrator would be useful.
Mafia
Long time nixers
Not sure why you guys think I am saying we need rep(Unless you mean people will refer to givens as reps like complete idiots). All I am saying is it would be nice to have a list of our givens so we know who is thanking us..
Mafia
Long time nixers
(14-10-2012, 06:03 PM)NeoTerra Wrote:
(14-10-2012, 05:28 PM)Mafia Wrote: Not sure why you guys think I am saying we need rep(Unless you mean people will refer to givens as reps like complete idiots). All I am saying is it would be nice to have a list of our givens so we know who is thanking us..

I suppose. I did look and it seems you can't enable it. When I have some free time this week I'll do some hunting around and look.

Alright, no hurry.
It should be a community decision anyways.
gurhush
Long time nixers
I don't want this. I did when I first joined but the more I thought about it the more I preferred it. This works just fine.
Mafia
Long time nixers
Could I possibly have a reason? I would like some cons and pros to go off of.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
I agree with Neoterra, I don't think it's a good idea.
venam
Administrators
Everybody here knows that rep stays for HF style forums... We are not like that, everyone is good and contribute in a way. AND that should be the spirit my sons!
bottomy
Registered
I agree with thanks/rep not really being needed. Since I don't really see a point to it, on forums that I've seen it been used before, it never really ended up having a point. It either didn't work well like on HF (rep can only be given by paying users, rep isn't given on a per post basis, etc.), or it worked (wasn't typically exploited and was used how it was hoped) anyone could give thanks and so it typically ended up as posts that released things or tutorials received the most, then general helpful posts received some, and random posts wouldn't receive any. But at the end of the day even on forums where it appeared to work, I didn't really see a point to it as it didn't really do / change anything. As if the forum didn't have any rep or thanks it still would've been pretty much the same.

I guess the reasoning behind it (as far as a community based one, not the actual business of managing the forum) is to encourage people to be more helpful/post more that is beneficial to the community (but really you would hope people would want to do that anyway, rather than having a community that is purely based around rep), and if the forum is large then if someone is helpful in one section and moves to another, the users in this new section can easily see whether the user is trustworthy (but this can easily be abused).

EDIT: Just remembered one forum that used a similar thanks system, also did it as a way to streamline the discussions more. So to keep the threads more discussion based, they made simply saying thanks be considered as spam, and so you would hit the thanks button instead. So that was one good point for it.
Mafia
Long time nixers
Alright. My main point was if we are all adults here, we could void the "reputation" within thanks, but I still see a problem since not everyone can put there big boy pants on when it comes to making a bigger impression on forums lol. I see where your coming from.
Mafia
Long time nixers
(16-10-2012, 06:14 PM)NeoTerra Wrote:
(16-10-2012, 05:43 PM)Mafia Wrote: Alright. My main point was if we are all adults here, we could void the "reputation" within thanks, but I still see a problem since not everyone can put there big boy pants on when it comes to making a bigger impression on forums lol. I see where your coming from.

If we were all adults...

Unfortunately we aren't all. It's just unnecessary at this point. Still glad you posted the suggestion though.

Yeah, I fully understand.