Looking for a vintage laptop/notebook. - BSD

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Robby
Long time nixers
One that has compatibility with FreeBSD or OpenBSD. You guys probably know what sort of thing I'm looking for. I was looking at the Toshiba Satellite Pro 410CS but yeah I'd like your suggestions. I'd rather it had a wireless card as well as an ethernet port if not just the wireless card. One that has a british power supply although I could just use a 2 pin converter. Cheers guys.
Lith
Long time nixers
Specs matter?

I would go down the 'IBM/THINKPAD route strong robust - just like my woman lmao.
Mafia
Long time nixers
My OpenBSD rig was a Toshiba satellite L455D-S5976

Not sure how old it was, but it wasn't vintage lol. I think it was released around 07.
Robby
Long time nixers
(13-01-2013, 05:31 PM)Mafia Wrote: My OpenBSD rig was a Toshiba satellite L455D-S5976

Not sure how old it was, but it wasn't vintage lol. I think it was released around 07.

Yeah they still make the satellite, the first ones look very old and originally run ms dos but can run 95' but someone managed to get Debian 6.0.6 working on it recently on youtube.

Here is the laptop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbcshrOrnvA (My Boyfriend?)

(13-01-2013, 02:57 PM)NeoTerra Wrote: Yeah I would suggest a Thinkpad, those things are rugged.

I seen some on YouTube, could you suggest a specific model?

(13-01-2013, 12:08 PM)Lith Wrote: Specs matter?

I would go down the 'IBM/THINKPAD route strong robust - just like my woman lmao.

Could you suggest a specific model? I saw a really cool IBM desktop on YouTube last night it looked old as fuck and it had a brick for a battery.
Robby
Long time nixers
I don't like the look of the IBM thinkpad laptops, does anyone have any other suggestions? I'd like something that looks like the Toshiba vintages, here are some examples.

[Image: %24T2eC16hHJHYE9nzpgI-DBQ8vcsfQ)Q~~60_12.JPG]

[Image: %24(KGrHqR,!l!E8EVBwEFvBPHHyCSsVg~~60_12.JPG]

[Image: %24(KGrHqV,!qsFC)3pG-IQBQ2LnCqLhg~~60_12.JPG]
Mafia
Long time nixers
Oh wow, your going hard.
Something that old, wow. Now that's awesome, would be cool to boot up netBSD on that sucker xD But anyways, the Toshiba sat. Series is literally the best thing you can do to run obsd, My rig was absolutely in sync with obsd, it was beautiful.
Mafia
Long time nixers
Yeah one night I had drank half of a half gallon, got very retarded. Ended up falling down some stairs leading to the garage( think there were only like two stairs) while throwing my laptop across the garage. Then I proceeded to get up, grab it, and fall on it. It still works fine, except I broke the screen..
Lith
Long time nixers
What about the ugly 'Toughbook' series? by panasonic or if you want OLD OLD SKOOL Powerbook 540c ? they're famous in movies dating back the 90's

They was featured in Assasins/Hackers/The net

awesome movies.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
(15-01-2013, 04:33 AM)Lith Wrote: What about the ugly 'Toughbook' series? by panasonic or if you want OLD OLD SKOOL Powerbook 540c ? they're famous in movies dating back the 90's

They was featured in Assasins/Hackers/The net

awesome movies.

It's what my ISP technicians use :P
Lith
Long time nixers
I would get a toughbook (if there was a Quad Core 16GB RaM 128GB SSD Version for me......

seems panasonic are 'tight' on system specs on toughbook series
Mafia
Long time nixers
Oh no, I mean't I broke it on another occasion. I didn't break it that night, but I did break it drunk..lol