Mechanical Love - Hardware talk

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
mrtn
Members
Keep us posted! After a discussion with a colleague yesterday, I'll go with a preonic as my next project. But this will take a while.. Another keyboard is not that high on the priority list.
jkl
Long time nixers
Typing this on a Model F XT. I found my last keyboard ever, I guess.
(Except for some certain layout weirdnesses, e.g. the small Return key, but it feels much better than even my 2018 Model M.)

edit:
CLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACK

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(17-12-2018, 08:02 AM)jkl Wrote: Typing this on a Model F XT. I found my last keyboard ever, I guess.
(Except for some certain layout weirdnesses, e.g. the small Return key, but it feels much better than even my 2018 Model M.)

That capslock key also.. What's the point of making small keys when you have this much space available?
jkl
Long time nixers
The Caps Lock is remapped to Alt Gr. Because, seriously, does anyone need Caps Lock? (Then again, I'm one of those people who never use the numpad, so I never enable the Num Lock either... and I have no clue what Scroll Lock even does. Three free keys for me!)

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(17-12-2018, 08:28 AM)jkl Wrote: The Caps Lock is remapped to Alt Gr. Because, seriously, does anyone need Caps Lock? (Then again, I'm one of those people who never use the numpad, so I never enable the Num Lock either... and I have no clue what Scroll Lock even does. Three free keys for me!)
I remapped capslock to the ESC key personally (which is now stupid with my daily keyboard, but I'm used to it I guess...), I agree that it's one pointless key!
It's good when you see it pushed away like that, in favor to more useful keys :)
jkl
Long time nixers
How does that Type Matrix feel? It looks weird to get used to.

--
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(17-12-2018, 02:22 PM)jkl Wrote: How does that Type Matrix feel? It looks weird to get used to.
I was surprised because it felt natural almost immediately!
The whole kb was differemt though, like the enter/backspace in the middle, so maybe I focused more on that.
It's been 6 years now that it's my daily driver, and I know realise how badly designed non-matrix kb are. Strangely, it doesn't bother to switch between my kb and another ine with enter/bksp at a "common place". The non-orthogonality is bothering though
jkl
Long time nixers
My Unicomp PC122 had met my living room’s floor. The “4/$” key cap broke in multiple parts. I could get a replacement key cap from eBay. For more shipping cost than actual cost. (Living in Germany has its issues, sometimes.) Still, very easily.

Two-part keys have advantages, it seems.

--