Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Caverse
Members
If I were to go to school and pick up some Certs, will that translate to getting a decent job? What Certs should I look into?
GNUplusPhil
Members
I work for a US DoD contractor. For these jobs, they are based on "Information Assurance Training" levels. To admin systems, you need to be at least IAT 1 which means a baseline cert of A+ (or higher) and a computing environment (CE) certification. So, whatever the CE is determines the certification you need. I have MCTS: Windows 7 Configuration, Network+ and Security+. My company requires Security+ for the baseline certification. In addition to these, there is also the "obtain and maintain a secret security clearance".

If I wanted to admin servers, then I would need to get Server 2008. If I want to admin *Nix machines (which would only be servers), then I have to have the current Linux+ from CompTIA.

I'll be taking the CISSP test following a week long bootcamp and year long self study in June.
resk
Members
Certifications were mentioned in the newsletter so I'm bringing this thread back to life.

Which certs do you guys have and do they help? Have you learned something from them?

Also, why is this in the intro section?
venam
Administrators
(28-10-2017, 07:28 AM)resk Wrote: Also, why is this in the intro section?
I've moved it into a more appropriate section, thanks for pointing that out.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
All I have is CCNA 1, 2, 3. Level 1 is really basic networking amd taugh me nothing.
Level 2/3 taugh me dynamic routing (BGP/OSPF) and some bits about layer 2 techs (spanning tree, trunking, ...)

They do help in my current job, but it is considered the basics of networking. Having the certificates themselves was not helpful at all. Actually, it was the opposite, as during the job interview, they said "You shoukd know this, it's in CCNA X!".

I think that knowing your shit is more important than getting certified. Running your own webserver or whatever is much more appreciated than getting a certification stating you can do so for example.
venam
Administrators
I'm interested in your opinions on that topic.
My company has proposed to all employees that if they are looking to do a training or a certification they would sponsor them (as in pay for it). I'm still looking for something that is worth it.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Something interresting could be the RHEL linux training program (not sure about the real name...), in order to sharpen your sysadmin knowledges.

On the network side, doing the full CCNA would be good, especially the part where you build up a full cabinet. It takes a lot of time though, and often involve personnal costs for individuals to "train" at home (read, build a full cabinet).
venam
Administrators
(29-10-2017, 08:05 PM)z3bra Wrote: RHEL linux training
A lot of persons, the support team, at work already took this training, it doesn't seem that lucrative.

(29-10-2017, 08:05 PM)z3bra Wrote: On the network side, doing the full CCNA would be good, especially the part where you build up a full cabinet. It takes a lot of time though, and often involve personnal costs for individuals to "train" at home (read, build a full cabinet).
Could be fun, I'm not knowledgeable about networking.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Mmmh, good to know for the RHEL training. For the CCNA, the first levels are pretty straighforward. For example, level 1 teach you the basics about networking (what does "network" means, what is an "IP address", etc..)