Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
ZdenoCharest
Members
I signed up and dropped an introductory post shortly before all of the server troubles began. My account and everything I had posted was wiped out as a result.

During the server weirdness, I logged into the Unixhub IRC channel and tried to find out what was going on. I thought maybe I had broken a rule or something and had my account banned.

Almost everyone ignored my questions, with the exception of a user called Venam who sarcastically gave me the "poor baby" treatment. Not cool.

In spite of that, I'd like to give this place a real chance.
hades
Long time nixers
Welcome! Sorry about the encounter in IRC, sometimes they get caught up in discussions with each other and only one person will notice you, and sometimes, they say things like "poor baby", which is just their way of poking fun. I encourage you to stick around and feel free to ask questions or post interesting things. The community here is really knowledgeable and helpful, as well as fun. I think you're going to have a great time.
venam
Administrators
Oh! I'm really sorry if I hurt your feelings because that wasn't the intention.
Ask Jayro to give you back your stuffs.
ZdenoCharest
Members
(30-07-2013, 04:38 AM)venam Wrote: Oh! I'm really sorry if I hurt your feelings because that wasn't the intention.
Ask Jayro to give you back your stuffs.

I didn't say you hurt my feelings. I know nothing about you. How could you possibly affect how I feel? I just think it's a little sad for a forum like this that when it's experiencing difficulties, certain members like you treat people who want to know what's going on with sarcasm and disdain. It does a disservice to the admins and all of the other members who are trying to build a community worth returning to.
zygotb
Long time nixers
Welcome to Unix Hub.

I tend to view this community, as I do most open source communities, as a type of meritocracy, where those with proven skills and knowledge are more respected than those such as myself who are basically just end users, thus we may tend to discount newcomers until they have proven themselves worthy of our respect.

venam is a high quality member, but like myself, he can be rather abrupt at times, however venam has helped me on more occasions than I am able to remember, even though I have also been dismayed by some of his responses and have let him know, the same as, I'm certain, many have relegated me to the "peanut gallery" as a result of my drunken ramblings replete with non sequiturs.

I guess the bottom line is, don't take this shit so seriously, none of us are getting out of it alive.
ZdenoCharest
Members
(31-07-2013, 01:32 AM)zygotb Wrote: I tend to view this community, as I do most open source communities, as a type of meritocracy

How would a real meritocracy react towards someone who belittles a new user trying to find information via IRC when his account has been lost along with all of his posts because of a server glitch? The server glitch certainly wasn't the new user's fault.

Anyhow, that's a purely academic question. The "bottom line" as you've put it does have something to do with "taking shit so seriously", but not in the way you understand it. Right now, I don't take any of this seriously. Why should any new member? The goal is in fact the opposite, to get people to take this community seriously enough to consider contributing constructively to it.

(31-07-2013, 12:38 AM)NeoTerra Wrote: Either way, welcome aboard :) Hopefully you won't let the one bad experience ruin the whole thing, we have some neat and talented members here who aren't all bad :p

Thanks for the welcome, NeoTerra. I'll defintitely take the time to explore.