Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
eksith
Long time nixers
Greetings everyone!

I'm eksith. Nice to meet you.

Consultant, developer/programmer, designer, amateur therapist type -- who's not particularly great at any of them -- with mild OCD here. I usually get drafted to do something else from whatever it is I'm doing at the moment. No complaints (that's a massive lie).

I enjoy taking apart things for no particular reason. My folks tell me this was a problem since I discovered a screwdriver.
Anyhoo...

Wee bit of background:
I've dabbled in multiple variants of *nix, but these days, I tend to hover around OpenBSD because I'm incredibly lazy at times and this is one OS that doesn't need constant baby sitting. Remember the good ol' days when a bunch of shell scripts ran your universe? Yeah, those were (are? Well, they ought to be be!) good times.

My first *nix system was FreeBSD and my first proper tutorial that I followed end-to-end was setting up a cvsup server. I think this was around 2003-ish.

These days I've been working on writing, re-writing, re-re-writing very simple utilities and tinkering with electronics as a hobby or if I'm not in the mood, I relax with a bit of Anime. I have terrible spelling and grammar so it takes just slightly more than the half-life of Americium-241 to finish a sentence I care about (I started writing this in 1581 with a quill dipped in yak dung).

[ I'm originally from the Windows world with a whole complicated history there, but that's not applicable here ;) ]

How I got here :
From Hacker News, oddly enough, when I asked D9u about his off-grid setup a couple of months back. Off-grid and sustainable living are dreams of mine. Long story short, I want my sustainable cabin to be tendered by robots. Preferably running some variant of Debian or OpenBSD.

In my usual cart-before-horse fashion, I signed up before lurking much so... yeah. ;)
venam
Administrators
Sounds like a new D9u, I like your style!
I think it's the first time someone discovers UH via Hackernews.
Welcome.
eksith
Long time nixers
Thank you kindly. Having read his posts on HN, I take that as a big compliment ;)
Hans Hackett
Members
Welcome aboard !
Reminds me of HN... I rarely go there, no reputation.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Welcome eskith, I hope you'll enjoy your stay!
eksith
Long time nixers
Thank you, guys!

@Hans, these days I visit HN for a few interesting stories here and there. Sometimes there are nuggets of gold in the comments, but it's getting more and more rare. There's a bit of a group mindset I'm not terribly fond of, which is why I'm seeking other places to hang out. ;)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Welcome here then !
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER
eksith
Long time nixers
Thank you, much! :)
jobss
Long time nixers
Wassup bro, enjoy your stay!
The world is quaking from our Linux Thoughts!
eksith
Long time nixers
Thank you, guys! I hope I'll live up to those expectations ;)
srp
Long time nixers
Welcome to UnixHub, you shoud join the IRC. :)
~Seraphim R.P.
the artistnixer formerly known as vypr formerly known as sticky
zygotb
Long time nixers
Welcome to the site! I hope you stick around and share!
eksith
Long time nixers
Thank you kindly. I had a bit of a bout with the flu so I didn't get a chance to drop by much here or IRC. Gonna change that soon ;)