Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
delucks
Members
I used to have mine hooked up as a XBMC box, now it's sitting unused. Thinking about making it into a SSH/IRC bouncer.
kirby
Long time nixers
Looks like they've announced the Raspberry Pi B+, with more USB ports, more GPIO pins, micro SD, and better audio. Looks like the specs are the same otherwise, and it costs the same.

[Image: rsz_b-.jpg]
dcli
Long time nixers
And now you'll need a bigger power supply and a new case and oh god
kirby
Long time nixers
(15-07-2014, 10:18 AM)dcli Wrote: And now you'll need a bigger power supply and a new case and oh god

Apparently it uses less power, and all the cool kids make cases out of Lego anyway ;)
dcli
Long time nixers
(16-07-2014, 11:20 AM)kirby Wrote:
(15-07-2014, 10:18 AM)dcli Wrote: And now you'll need a bigger power supply and a new case and oh god

Apparently it uses less power, and all the cool kids make cases out of Lego anyway ;)
but all those peripheral expansion possibilities will need at least 3 amps
shtols
Long time nixers
They may have increased the number of ports but they are all still connected to only one controller, including the Ethernet-port. That drags down the performance a lot.
dami0
Long time nixers
With my new NAS, the RasPi is significantly more portable and useful around a house where there's more TVs than media players.
jmbi
Long time nixers
I use my Raspberry Pi for absolutely nothing now, I often forget that I even own one. It mostly collects dust, I get to worried when plugging cords into it that the ports would snap off. So now I just don't plug anything into it and it suits me just fine.
Houseoftea
Long time nixers
With my newfound wealth (sarcasm) from my awful job I am going to be grabbing one of these
I plan to play around with: https://github.com/mntmn/interim
chc4
Members
There's a RPi 2 B, including a media kit, for sale at MassDrop right now, you can pick one up + enclosure for $59 + shipping. I've been considering it, not sure if I'll pull the trigger or not...

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/seeed-raspb...guest_open
Houseoftea
Long time nixers
(11-10-2015, 05:07 PM)chc4 Wrote: $59 + shipping

I dunno I might just want to get mine without all the accessories for cheaper
hades
Long time nixers
I just bought a pi kit on Amazon and am gonna be replacing my desktop with it. Don't worry, I have a good laptop to do heavier stuff on ;)
Wildefyr
Long time nixers
A braver man you are than I.. I recommend an X environment that is lightweight like wmutils.
pranomostro
Long time nixers
I like my little 9berry.
When I am finished with fred, I am going to move my programming to the unix successor.
kirby
Long time nixers
Hey guys, quick question.

I have a server running on an RPi that has two main jobs. Firstly, it host an incredibly simple website that is just a bunch of file indexing with University textbooks for me and my friends. Secondly, it hosts an SMB server on the internal server so it can serve up PS2 games from the harddrive.

Unfortunately, the latter task is way beyond the Pis capabilities. The games are slow to load and freeze frequently. On researching, it turns out the Pi doesn't have Gigabit Ethernet, and has Ethernet and USB share the same bus. Is there a decent replacement, or am I looking at a 'regular' motherboard and just making a server? I've seen the Banana Pi and the Orange Pi Plus has Gigabit Ethernet, would either of these be up to the task? Basically, what's the cheapest thing I can get to maximise network throughput?

EDIT: Also buying a Banana Pi does not seem like an easy task all the websites looks sketchy as.
Wildefyr
Long time nixers
What version of the RPi have you been using? The pi's are pretty shitty all-in-one boards compared to the rest of the market, but I haven't researched any of them recently.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
they're also the cheapest I think
kirby
Long time nixers
Currently using a Model B (512MB RAM), I have a 2B but haven't bothered setting it up, I think it suffers from the same issue. I'm looking to go a bit more expensive because the Raspberry simply isn't up to the task.
arcetera
Members
i have tons of these little things and i have no idea what to do with them. any ideas?
tigoesnumb3rs
Members
Give them to some of your friends and try to set up a small mesh network using tinc or peervpn?

Then maybe set up internal services like a chat, mail, distributed encrypted backups, a shared ebook- or musiclibrary..

The only problem is finding the right people to participate.. lots of non-technical people consider mesh networks to be a bad thing.
tudurom
Long time nixers
(07-06-2016, 08:47 PM)arcetera Wrote: i have tons of these little things and i have no idea what to do with them. any ideas?
set up a cluster to replace your VPS
xcko
Members
I just found something new for a pi (or similar hardware). https://piratebox.cc/faq
It creates an offline, anonymous file sharing, chat room, forum, and optionally an irc server. What it does is set up a wifi access point that anyone can join, and it redirects web requests to the local page where everything is located. As it's not connected to the wider internet, it is naturally secure, private, and local only. They are also working on mesh network support as well.
pyratebeard
Long time nixers
Interesting. That would be really handy for LAN parties and meetups. Better than passing USBs around when transferring files.

I could do with a shot of rum right now.
resk
Members
Got a pie recently. Nice to see there's a thread for inspo about what to do with it. I think I'll make a TV-station with it.
Wildefyr
Long time nixers
Got my pi setup as a alternative to wake on lan seeing as I can never get it to work properly. Gonna write up a post about it when I get the time but has anyone got suggestions for a more powerful board though? The pi zero is just too slow to do heavier services like webhosting etc. Preferable with external drive support as well.
evbo
Members
(23-05-2019, 08:01 PM)Wildefyr Wrote: ... anyone got suggestions for a more powerful board though? The pi zero is just too slow to do heavier services like webhosting etc. Preferable with external drive support as well.

The Pi3 B+ is more powerful than my OpenBSD VPS that runs multiple websites. I purchased one recently and it's got enough horsepower to run as a little home server. It has USB for your external drive.

I bought a CanaKit since it comes with a case and power supply, it was $50 USD
Doom
Members
(22-05-2018, 04:18 AM)resk Wrote: Got a pie recently. Nice to see there's a thread for inspo about what to do with it. I think I'll make a TV-station with it.

I wired a pi to a cheap, party lamp that lights up whenever someone on my team pushes code to production :)
xero
Long time nixers
i got 4 1st gen pi's at a thrift shop. still haven't decided what to do w/ them. i was thinking about making a mini-cluster or something... but idk
jolia
Long time nixers
yay @xero you should definitely try https://k3s.io/

i got myself a second gen pi i guess, plugged at my parents house to get remove access, that's it
fraun
Members
kodi or osmc, for that obvious media centre tv thing. osmc runs pretty well on my 1st gen pi