│   └── yosowo/
├── stateless/
└── videos/
    ├── critique-of-pure-reason.mkv
    ├── emacs/
    ├── miscellaneous/
    ├── unix-etc/
    └── vim/

I feel like it's fairly standard. Unlike a lot of you, I've opted to go for directories with long names. There are a few reasons for this, but the main ones are for readability, and because talking programs pronounce them better (I don't use one at the moment, but I have done in the past quite heavily). As long as the starting characters are unique, I see no particular benefit to switching to shorter ones.

I don't really like dotfiles at all, so as much as possible have them exposed to the world. My lib folder is an idea stolen from plan9 iirc, and is my $XDG_CONFIG_HOME. There are two configuration files which aren't in there: my profile, and mg (which doesn't seem to support alternative configuration locations). The profile has a quite extensive selection of environment variables used to push everything into lib, and there are a couple of aliases in lib/shellrc for the more difficult programs.

I store things I'm working on in projects, regardless of whether they're code. I don't do games much these days, but they have their own subdirectory to keep them separate.

I use nmh to access my mail, and occasionally mutt. I don't have a complicated workflow, just grab messages from my spoolfile and stick them in the inbox folder, then delete them or move them to the archive folder. I tend to keep my computer offline a lot of the time, though, and use the wired and msmtp-* scripts to sync and send messages when I'm connected. The wired script also updates all my RSS feeds in newsboat.

Stateless is my downloads directory. Like a lot of people here, it's mounted as tmpfs.

The documents folder is where most of my other stuff goes. There's a links file which holds a dump of bookmarks and sites of interest (which was meant to be in a nice, unix and human readable format, but unfortunately I haven't really kept to it). The papers folder holds PDFs and epubs. Personal holds my passport photo and a couple of other things like that, school holds educational notes, scores holds sheet music, show-notes used to be a daily journal thing, songs is for songs, chords, and lyrics, text is for miscellaneous grabs of articles I've found interesting and want to keep around, and website is (naturally) my website.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do you tidy your home, aka `tree -L2 ~` - by twee - 24-03-2020, 08:25 PM