The history of Darwin, and where it is today. - Other *nix-like OSes & POSIX related

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
apk
Long time nixers
Sup fellow Linux, BSD, MINIX, OS X, Haiku, Plan 9, and Amiga OS users! Instead of working on my homework and preparing for my graduation, I decided to look into Darwin, and what it consists of. No, not OS X, Darwin. Stuff like XNU and Mach. Supposedly it's open source, or the majority of it is, but I can't find the source anywhere. Anyone have any intel on where the source is? Also, does anyone have a summary of the history and special features that Darwin (or it's components) has over other UNIX-like systems?
Or is it just OS X with a different name?

Thanks guys, I'm gonna go procrastinate some more and not do my homework!

(19-04-2015, 07:11 PM)dsplayer14 Wrote: Sup fellow Linux, BSD, MINIX, OS X, Haiku, Plan 9, and Amiga OS users! Instead of working on my homework and preparing for my graduation, I decided to look into Darwin, and what it consists of. No, not OS X, Darwin. Stuff like XNU and Mach. Supposedly it's open source, or the majority of it is, but I can't find the source anywhere. Anyone have any intel on where the source is? Also, does anyone have a summary of the history and special features that Darwin (or it's components) has over other UNIX-like systems?
Or is it just OS X with a different name?

Thanks guys, I'm gonna go procrastinate some more and not do my homework!
Well, after some simple Googling that I didn't bother to do initially, I found the source to the kernel, XNU (which is a hybrid of Mach and BSD). However, no find on any source of the Darwin operating system. I feel like my best bet is just exploring Apple's open source software repository.

Messages In This Thread
The history of Darwin, and where it is today. - by apk - 19-04-2015, 07:11 PM