Personal information management - Desktop Customization & Workflow

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Laserswald
Members
Of all the things I want to know about you guys, I want to know how you keep up with the inevitable stuff that clutters your digital lives.

How do you guys manage things like:

To-do lists
Contacts
Calendars (and notifications)
Note taking and storage
Email setups (this should be fun!)
Device synchronization

I've seen some cool stuff, but let me hear it from you all. I'll chime in with a reply.

To-do lists

I use Gina Trapani's veritable todo.txt, a shell script that manages a standardized, human readable todo list. Since it's just shell, it's fairly easily hackable and very light. There's a paid Android app that is also part of the project, but it is bound to Dropbox so I use the sync-agnostic Simpletask Cloudless.

A killer feature of todo.txt is that you can integrate it with nixer-y goodness and still get a powerful system with contexts, projects, and priorities with a clean cli interface.

Contacts
Google Contacts, mostly. I SHOULD use that program that syncs your GContacts address book to your Mutt aliases, but it's on the back burner once I get back into email.

Calendars (and notifications)
Right now, Google Calendar. I'm looking for another system that integrates as well as todo.txt, with no luck. I may have to write this myself. Humph.

Note taking and storage
I have a synced folder of markdown notes in it that syncs with all my computers and my phone. That and pandoc creates browsable notes. It's still difficult to integrate with my phone, but it's not impossible. There are plenty of text editors for Android, and just one will work, but it would be nice to find one that just allows a shortcut to my inbox.txt file. C'est la vie.

Email setups (this should be fun!)
I just finished my Mutt setup, which I sync with Gmail with isync. There are sneaky duplicates all over my 'All Mail' folder, but you can ignore those. If I need to look up something fast, I also installed Notmuch, an ultra fast email index searcher.

Device synchronization
My synchronizer of choice right now is Syncthing, a near clone of BitTorrent Sync that is open source, fully encrypted and has torrent-style distributed data storage. No limits to be reached, no clouds to be hacked.

And that's mine. Of course, there's always room for improvement. I'm still fiddling with Mutt, and I am considering adding some more shortcuts to make short work of any more junk email I get.

Messages In This Thread
Personal information management - by Laserswald - 25-07-2015, 01:10 AM
RE: Personal information management - by venam - 25-07-2015, 04:39 AM
RE: Personal information management - by bsdkeith - 25-07-2015, 05:00 AM
RE: Personal information management - by z3bra - 25-07-2015, 08:59 AM
RE: Personal information management - by movq - 25-07-2015, 09:02 AM
RE: Personal information management - by z3bra - 25-07-2015, 03:56 PM
RE: Personal information management - by io86 - 26-07-2015, 10:45 AM
RE: Personal information management - by srp - 29-07-2015, 07:59 AM
RE: Personal information management - by venam - 11-11-2015, 05:03 AM
RE: Personal information management - by z3bra - 11-11-2015, 05:15 PM
RE: Personal information management - by z3bra - 12-11-2015, 08:17 AM