About cross-compilers and their use - Programming On Unix

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
I've recently started building my very own linux distribution, and on the process I had to deal with cross-compilers. My experience with them was close to zero. I only had to deal with mingw once, but it was under arch and all I had to do was install a bunch of packages, and use whatever tool I was asked to to get get application compiled for windows.

This time, it was different, I had to setup a cross-compiler to compile applications for the same OS and even the same architecture.
Why would I do that you ask? For the libc. I decided to compile all my packages against musl instead of glibc. This can be done without a cross-compiler, but setting up one definitely makes things easier.

I then learnt how to make my own cross-compiler from scratch, using gcc and musl. This was quite a hard process, but I had some good resources to figure out how to do it. Ypnose also helped me a lot with it!

Now that I found how to build, use and automate it, I've been wondering. Does anyone else have experience with cross-compilers? What did you use them for, and how did you build them?
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER

Messages In This Thread
About cross-compilers and their use - by z3bra - 10-08-2015, 03:12 PM
RE: About cross-compilers and their use - by xero - 13-08-2015, 11:27 AM
RE: About cross-compilers and their use - by cjm - 13-08-2015, 04:46 PM
RE: About cross-compilers and their use - by October - 19-09-2015, 11:33 PM