Digital a nix story - Off topic

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
apk
Long time nixers
(13-08-2015, 08:33 PM)Houseoftea Wrote: If you loook at the album I have attachted I have grids on and set to 14x14
also use snap to grid for the selection tool so you can easily edit areas of the image.

There might be a better way to do this?

Depending on how easy it is to get GIMP to setup a 14x14 pixel grid over the image, that might be the optimal solution to editing the photo assests in the game...

I gotta say though, Houseoftea, mad respect for reaching out to the dev and doing this level of research. Digital: A Love Story is one of my favorite indie games and creates a nostalgic and sentimental atmosphere and feeling to me. Granted, I was born in the 90s so that nostalgic feeling is artificial, to say the least. Nevertheless, it is a phenomenal and unique game.

In regards to creating a fork/editing the source, given what Ms. Love has said, if we want to do more intensive hacking on the source, we might wanna evaluate possible libraries, since it seems like Ren'Py wasn't the best option. However, if this is true, she did a flawless job working with it. But again on the contrary, in the future we might want to look at other solutions, possibly in other languages too (the latter is me subtly hating on Python. I don't really like it and don't have much experience with it).

Of course, I may be overthinking this. We might be able to work with what the game has as is, and just deal with it that way. The previous paragraph is mostly just some foresight as I see it.

So to say it bluntly, I wouldn't mind working on a fork. I'm not a good programmer, but I try to tackle every opportunity I get to sharpen my skills and I do love collaborating with others. I kind of see two paths here in this regard:

1: use GIMP and deal with Ren'Py to complete whatever it is we want, which may be fine (I haven't really checked the source to be honest).
2: Go hardcore on tearing that shit up and using a new library, allowing us more flexibility at the cost of much more work.

For now, I'll check out the source and see if I can do anything with it. I'll post again with other ideas or anything that I come up with. This might be something rocx would be interested in given that he too has played the game, but I'm not sure on that.

Great work Houseoftea, I'm impressed. Let's see if we can expand on a flawless game.

Messages In This Thread
Digital a nix story - by Houseoftea - 13-08-2015, 05:36 PM
RE: Digital a nix story - by apk - 13-08-2015, 07:33 PM
RE: Digital a nix story - by Houseoftea - 13-08-2015, 08:33 PM
RE: Digital a nix story - by apk - 13-08-2015, 10:55 PM
RE: Digital a nix story - by srp - 17-08-2015, 11:15 PM
RE: Digital a nix story - by Houseoftea - 18-08-2015, 10:02 AM
RE: Digital a nix story - by fayesafe - 18-08-2015, 10:23 AM
RE: Digital a nix story - by xero - 18-08-2015, 10:31 AM
RE: Digital a nix story - by Houseoftea - 18-08-2015, 10:32 AM
RE: Digital a nix story - by xero - 18-08-2015, 03:24 PM
RE: Digital a nix story - by fayesafe - 18-08-2015, 06:06 PM