Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Turil
Members
Hello fellow *nixers,

I'd like to introduce myself to the board. I've used Linux on and off since 2000 without looking much under the hood. I always returned to Windows after a while mainly because of games and lack of hardware support in the early 2000's.

Windows 10 is / was the final nail in the coffin for me, I installed Ubuntu Gnome yesterday and it just works, including Dropbox, Spotify and my Traktor Audio 2 USB sound card.
In the long term I want to move to Arch, but for now I'll stick with Ubuntu and use that as a learning platform.
I'm still dual booting Windows for Lightroom and Photoshop (using those with a Spyder Colorimeter for semi-pro work) but I'll eventually get rid of them too or at least move them to a KVM with some hardware passthrough magic for calibration purposes. If that is necessary at all, haven't looked at calibration options in Linux yet.

Back to some about-me stuff:
I'm working in the IT, mostly 1st and 2nd Level User Support and some admin stuff (active directory management, exchange mailserver, basic networking, etc.) but am unemployed at the moment.
I also used to play video games waaaaay to much and want to dedicate that time now to learn more about Linux and learn how to code. Is Phyton a good start? As a teenager in the 90ies a friend and I used to program stuff in Turbo Pascal if I recall correctly. A pong game playing itself is all I can remember though.

So plenty of things to learn already without scratching other interesting topics like networking, network security etc. :)

That's enough about me for now I guess. ;) Feel free to ask me whatever you want to know.

Messages In This Thread
Ahoy from Austria! - by Turil - 07-09-2015, 12:16 PM
RE: Ahoy from Austria! - by pranomostro - 07-09-2015, 02:26 PM
RE: Ahoy from Austria! - by srp - 08-09-2015, 12:10 AM
RE: Ahoy from Austria! - by venam - 08-09-2015, 01:58 AM
RE: Ahoy from Austria! - by October - 08-09-2015, 02:55 AM
RE: Ahoy from Austria! - by jvarg - 08-09-2015, 03:49 AM
RE: Ahoy from Austria! - by dtnt - 08-09-2015, 07:37 AM
RE: Ahoy from Austria! - by strang3quark - 08-09-2015, 08:12 AM
RE: Ahoy from Austria! - by xero - 09-09-2015, 12:32 PM
RE: Ahoy from Austria! - by Turil - 09-09-2015, 04:42 PM