Chromebooks: Linux on a budget, and how not to hate them - Hardware talk

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
hades
Long time nixers
I run Arch on my Samsung Chromebook (the older one), and it's not that bad as far as compatibility goes, and was relatively easy to install (no removing screws on this one). The part that troubled me at first was the terminology of "flashing" the image on the 16GB SSD - until I realized that this was basically an SSD that was being handled like firmware and that what I was doing was no more harmful than partioning a regular SSD.

The only persistent problem I have is with sound - opening the ALSA mixer reveals several dozen toggles, most of which aren't helpfully named. I still have yet to figure out what magical combination I did once upon a time to (temporarily) get the speakers working. Headphones just work when I plug them in, though, and the volume on them is easily controlled via the master volume toggle. But the speakers are either dead silent or emit a harsh noise when unmuted.

The real issue: It's ARM, so software is relatively limited. That's part of why I chose Arch - the AUR has pretty much everything I'd want on an ARM device.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chromebooks: Linux on a budget, and how not to hate them - by hades - 01-07-2017, 02:16 AM