GoboLinux and Package Management - GNU/Linux

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
When I see Gobolinux's "/Programs", all I can think of is "C:\Program Files", which is roughly the same: an "app directory" containing all he bits to make a program works. It even contains all its external dependencies ("containers", yikes).

Gobolinux get one point right though, the separation of directories makes no sense in the present context. I'm pretty confident that 500Mb can fit on a signle parition! Don't call me fool here!! It's the future!!

This distro also impresses me by the cleanness of its file tree. I've been working on a distro myself, and getting programs to install elsewhere than /usr or /usr/local can be a real pain sometimes (especially when it comes to the toolchain!). The idea of using overlayfs to "put back" programs in the original tree is pretty awesome, and allow for many possibilities (eg, ls /Programs/Executables to see all your binaries for example).

In the end, Gobolinux is an impressive distro to me. It's not one I would use myself for different reasons that are only relevant to me, but I'm really respectful of the work done here. And if anyone has anything to say against Gobo, I suggest they read this page first: https://gobolinux.org/doc/articles/clueless.html

Messages In This Thread
GoboLinux and Package Management - by delete - 24-01-2017, 09:21 PM
RE: GoboLinux and Package Management - by hades - 24-01-2017, 11:02 PM
RE: GoboLinux and Package Management - by z3bra - 25-01-2017, 04:41 AM
RE: GoboLinux and Package Management - by delete - 25-01-2017, 07:43 AM
RE: GoboLinux and Package Management - by josuah - 25-01-2017, 03:34 PM
RE: GoboLinux and Package Management - by z3bra - 26-01-2017, 08:11 AM
RE: GoboLinux and Package Management - by josuah - 26-01-2017, 06:46 PM
RE: GoboLinux and Package Management - by z3bra - 27-01-2017, 07:35 AM
RE: GoboLinux and Package Management - by venam - 21-12-2020, 03:59 AM