Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
pkal
Long time nixers
(15-11-2017, 10:19 AM)resk Wrote: I like you already!
I'm honoured. The same goes to all the others. Very much appreciate it.

(15-11-2017, 10:19 AM)resk Wrote: Be sure to checkout the newsletter https://newsletter.nixers.net/ with its old entries https://newsletter.nixers.net/entries.php
Will do/have done. Thanks for the hint.

(15-11-2017, 11:48 AM)acg Wrote: It's nice to see someone around my age here (21).
From what I gathered (at least from the introductions and some other miscellaneous posts) there seemed to be "quite a few" people around our age, one person was even 14 iirc. But it might be different when it comes to active participation...

(15-11-2017, 12:24 PM)venam Wrote: All of those with the camel avatar but you're not into Perl!
Funny story: I used to like perl and camels, so I made this avatar. Over time I changed my mind on perl, but still like camels. Nevertheless, I kept the avatar, since I was already using it on a few platforms, but I might change it over time. I have a few alternatives I could use (maybe I'll even make a new one)

(15-11-2017, 03:57 PM)jkl Wrote: ed is the standard text editor!
How could I forget that. I have even unironically used ed (scripts) in some private projects, and then I miss the opportunity to brag about it.

(15-11-2017, 03:57 PM)jkl Wrote: I like how minimalistic your website is; in fact, it gives me a Connection Denied error right now, loading 0 bytes.
Sadly I couldn't optimize it beyond 0 - but seriously, I also realized something was wrong today, I swear it was working this morning. The server is a raspberry pi, that's lying around in my living room, and from time to time the DDNS system I use to update my IP changes, so the site is inaccessible. As far as I see it's working now... Otherwise I also have a gopher server running on the same device, maybe that works?

(15-11-2017, 05:05 PM)budRich Wrote: Have you read The Futurica Trilogy?
No, but from what I see there seems to quite a lot of good responses, so I might look into it. I've just got quite a long reading list right now, and I'm sadly not the fastest reader, so it might take me a while ^^.

(15-11-2017, 05:05 PM)budRich Wrote: Do you have any particular books/philosophies to recommend?
I'm not quite sure what you mean with "philosophies" (in my view, philosophy isn't a plug and play game, picking what one likes and leaving out what one doesn't, where everything is modular, and independent - instead a "system" is interrelated and inevitably follows from basic premisses, which is one of the reasons I don't lile the term "unix philosophy" - but that's a different topic) - but one thing I can certainly recommend, while it isn't a book, but still great, is Peter Adamson's "History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps" podcast, or the BBC's "In our Time". Both very interesting, and especially the former has been helping me understand the historical development of some of the ideas, the underlying presumptions and possible alternatives to many concepts, also in CS, which we often take for granted. Or that's at least on of the things I want to learn more about.

When strictly speaking about book, Primary Literature isn't bad, but it requires focus and background knowledge. I'm currently pushing myself through Plato's "Republic", and "Symposium", Aristotle's "Categories", Kant's "Fundamental Principals of the Metaphysics of Morals", Hegel's "The Philosophy of Right", Marx's 1844 Manuscripts, Freud's "Civilisation and It's Discontempts", and a few other texts. I just back and forth, which means I progress very slowly, but I have the time in my one hour ride to the University. So yeah, I'd recommend "classics", I guess?

Messages In This Thread
[an introduction] - by pkal - 15-11-2017, 08:44 AM
RE: [an introduction] - by resk - 15-11-2017, 10:19 AM
RE: [an introduction] - by acg - 15-11-2017, 11:48 AM
RE: [an introduction] - by venam - 15-11-2017, 12:24 PM
RE: [an introduction] - by jkl - 15-11-2017, 03:57 PM
RE: [an introduction] - by budRich - 15-11-2017, 05:05 PM
RE: [an introduction] - by pkal - 15-11-2017, 06:52 PM
RE: [an introduction] - by r4ndom - 16-11-2017, 11:04 AM
RE: [an introduction] - by budRich - 16-11-2017, 12:00 PM
RE: [an introduction] - by jkl - 16-11-2017, 12:14 PM
RE: [an introduction] - by josuah - 19-11-2017, 10:36 AM